What is a defination of sikh?

Jawaab tusi bohat sohna dita. Mein vi panj kakkar nahi rakhe, bina ik karre tu. In fact mein mona han. Par, koshish kar reha ke holi holi guru vala banna. Es vele, tuhade vang bani parhan te aarth samajan di koshish kar reha ehi aas naal ke sache paatshah de deedar ho jaan. Aakhir, hor tan ithe duniya vich kuch nahi. Naa apaan ithe kuch leke aaye si, te naa kuch leke jaana.

Panjaban

*~DoAbAn~*
Jawaab tusi bohat sohna dita. Mein vi panj kakkar nahi rakhe, bina ik karre tu. In fact mein mona han. Par, koshish kar reha ke holi holi guru vala banna. Es vele, tuhade vang bani parhan te aarth samajan di koshish kar reha ehi aas naal ke sache paatshah de deedar ho jaan. Aakhir, hor tan ithe duniya vich kuch nahi. Naa apaan ithe kuch leke aaye si, te naa kuch leke jaana.
Waheguru ji agge hamesha tuhade lai ehi ardaas rahu gi saadi ke tusi apni koshish vich kaamyab hovo ge. Je mann di issha haigi sikh bannan di, taa fer koi rukaawat ni au gi.
Haanji tusi sahi keha, ik rabb da naam he hai jo apne naal rahu ga hamesha lai, duniya te duniya wale ik na ik din shadd ke challe he jaana.

Ramta

jatt punjabi,

Everything you quote I agree is a part of Indic scriptures but the Indic scriptures are not the ultimate in wisdom. There are scriptures and there are scriptures and they at many a place contradict each other(but Hindu scriptures are not alone). ome proclaim caste as hereditary whereas Krishna states clearly in the Bhagavad Gita that caste is a classification of people's potential. A single family might have children with qualities that are suitable for Brahmins, Kshatri-yas, Vaishyas, or Shudra.

Who doesn't know it exist's in India and not just among the Hindooos alone...Not following the caste system doesn't render you a non-Hindu. One may be an athiest and still be a Hindu.

"There is no heaven, no final liberation, nor any soul in another world,
Nor do the actions of the four castes, etc., produce any real effect.
The Agnihotra, the three Vedas, the ascetic's three staves, and smearing one's self with ashes,
Were made by Nature as the livelihood or those destitute of knowledge and manliness."

- - Savradarshana Samgraha

Scepticism is an integral part of Hindu civilization and its nice to know people like you keeping the tradition alive. The disbelief, doubts, and atheism of ancient India is summed up in the lines above.

Then there is Charvaka philosophy(existed during the Vedic period), founded by Charvaka,rejected the existence of God and considered religion as an aberration. The most important book was Brihaspati Sutra. I am stating things in past tense since I am not aware if copies of this book are available in India. According to Charvaka, "Material world alone exists and our knowledge comes from sense perception". This philosophy openly propagated that there is no God, the Law of Karma has no basis and that the Vedas were written by clowns. It adds " Enjoy life while you can, for once cremated, you will never return to earth." There are still a lot more scriptures in Hinduism. I should say that there are more than 1000 scriptures in Hinduism......

None of the above scripture is to be considered as final. People who believe in what they believe in must also know that the Veda's etc. had emphasized that the ideas and philosophy was merely a discovery about a reality that had always been there. The authors who-ever they were were not bringing any new covenants from any God. The history of our religion or culture or the way it is looked at is not necessary for the principles we believe in to work. In fact, even Krishna or even the Buddha and Nanak stated that they was neither the first nor the last to have achieved the state of enlightenment. they also asserted that they were not God nor sent by any God as a prophet, and whatever they discovered was available to every human to discover for himself. Like the Law of Gravity.

The Gita never commands anyone what to do; Instead it discusses pros and cons of every action and thought. Throughout Gita you will not come across any line starting or ending with Thou Shalt Not Do This.

And tell you what...Hinduism is the only system that never ever boasts monopoly on salvation. In fact, as per Hinduism, any one, even an atheist can attain salvation. A Jew, Christian and Moslem can attain salvation, irrespective of whether they read any Hindu scriptural book.

"Ekam Sat, Viprah Bahudha Vadanti". (There is only one truth, only men describe it in different ways). - - -The Rig Veda

All religions are the result of the works of thousands of thinkers. Hinduism and Judaism are cultures and they are the mothers of all religions. New religions like Christianity and Islam took the best aspects of Judaism and made part of them. So too Buddhism, Jainism and Sikhism took the best aspects of Hinduism and made part of them. In Christianity, there were several housecleaning in its 2000 years of history. Hinduism on its part, never had any house cleaning in its history. Since Hinduism never tossed anything away, in it you will see in it primitive religion as well as very advanced thoughts.

Now returning back to what I wrote in my previous posts...

What I ask is this :
Do we Sikh teach our children that more than 1/3 of the Guru Granth consist of Hymns that were composed long before even Nanak was born(Kabir was before Nanak. And Namdev was a Maratha whose hymns in the Guru Granth are a Punjabi translation of his original Marathi hymns) ??

I don't know why such a fuss is being made. All I said is that whatever is said in the Guru Granth was said before. Though I admit contrary things were also said. And say what will one do about Kabir and Namdev ?? Sikhism did exist long before Nanak. That's what I said.

Thanks

onlycheema

Banned
What I ask is this :
Do we Sikh teach our children that more than 1/3 of the Guru Granth consist of Hymns that were composed long before even Nanak was born(Kabir was before Nanak. And Namdev was a Maratha whose hymns in the Guru Granth are a Punjabi translation of his original Marathi hymns) ??

I don't know why such a fuss is being made. All I said is that whatever is said in the Guru Granth was said before. Though I admit contrary things were also said. And say what will one do about Kabir and Namdev ?? Sikhism did exist long before Nanak. That's what I said.

Thanks

to just simply give you a straightforward answer yes all sikhs know that the gurbani consists of bhagats long before the time of guru nanak dev ji.these bhagats were one on one wid god.......ohnaa ne parmaatmaa nun paa leyaa c es layi guru ji ne naam baani de jahaaz vich ohna di baani daraz kiti.

All religions teach one to do good deeds.......no religion will teach one to do bad things...it's just that our tenth guru put valour and bravery in us.........our gurus tought us to be above the worldly affairs.........Ramji's fight was for a woman.......Krishan ji fought for Land.........saade guru ne apne kol ek chappa jameen v nahin rakhi but saade to apna sarbans kurbaan karr taa........ever heard of like dis.......dis is uniqueness of sikhism.

Principles that are incorporated in Sikhism existed as it does for all religions but we overcame all the caste based things u had before. and other things dat our gurus deemed not right.......not Sikhism in dis form existed before.

munda_wakhre_type_da

-- Kem da Gui --

What I ask is this :

ok do u have any idea wt hymns are? ok please explain about hymns and dere history .. wts dere importance and how dese hymns gt started to generate in indian history ?

What I ask is this :

Thanks

OK.....If u dont know bout SGGS, better u leave......u said in ur first post that ur a sikh nd read SGGS......I challenge.....its a BS......ok

Now.....wat u wanna say????wats ur actual question??????wat u wanna show??????......according ya wat is sikhism??????.......ok........wat u think as best religion nd why???????.......so if sikhism existed long before Guru Nanak Dev ji then who is the founder of sikhism???????....nd when it started??????

Ramta

jattpunjabi,

Now.....wat u wanna say????wats ur actual question??????wat u wanna show??????......according ya wat is sikhism??????.......ok........wat u think as best religion nd why???????.......so if sikhism existed long before Guru Nanak Dev ji then who is the founder of sikhism???????....nd when it started??????

Sikhism is a system of faith propounded by the Ten Guru's the first of whom was Guru Nanak but the evolution of Guru Nanak’s devotional path need to be understood.

Guru Nanak who started preaching in 1499 in (Punjab) India. Being a compassionate person, Guru Nanak had observed the selfish ways of life and was touched by unhappiness prevalent in people at large in his time. He saw the tyranny of Muslim rulers. He commented on the weaknesses of both – Hindu and Muslim – communities. At that time the noble Hindu culture had, in practice, yet again, fallen a victim of decadence. Casteism was yet again rampant and lower caste persons were treated inhumanly. Mechanical performance of rituals had become the norm. Internal purity of mind and spiritual progress were not the aim, only external actions were the aim. Despite the divine knowledge about the four Paths for ‘Spiritual Progress’ viz. ‘Jnaana Yoga’ (Knowledge), ‘Karma Yoga' (Action), ‘Paatanjali Yoga’ and of ‘Bhakti Yoga' (Devotion) being available, upper castes including Brahmins, in their selfish interests, were inhumanly exploiting the lowest castes. On the one hand such divine knowledge was available, and on the other such abysmal inhuman behavior!!

Bhakti Movement : Historical Background

It would help to understand the evolution of Guru Nanak’s devotional path – ‘Naam Simarana’ – chanting the Name of ‘Advaitic (non-dual) God’. Among many others, the old scriptures like Bhagwad Geeta, Upanishads (Upani) and Naarada Bhakti Sutra (NBS) and even Paatanjali Yoga Sootra have discourses on paths of devotion. Bhakti (devotion) basically is remembering and chanting Names of Gods or Supreme One. NBS is a comprehensive treatise on paths of devotion, inclusive of chanting of His Name, and all other modes described in Guru Granth Sahib (GGS). Bhakti (devotion) movement in India is ancient. Both Patanjali and Naarada are believed to belong to the ancient period, but certainly a few centuries prior to Christ. Bhakti Movement of ‘Alawars’ was prevalent from 7th to 9th century A.D. in South India.

Around 800 AD, the greatest exponent of modern era of Jnaana Yoga, Aadi Shankaraachaarya (Shankara) himself had written and sung devotional hymns; and he, a brahmin, had accepted an enlightened lowest caste person as one of his Gurus.

During 11th and 12th centuries in South India Sant philosopher Raamaanujaachaarya (1017 – 1137) expounded ‘Devotion’ as per his ‘Qualified Monism’. He indeed had rebelled against the caste system of Hinduism. He, a brahmin by birth, accepted an enlightened person of a lowest caste as his Guru! And he preached the lowest castes openly.

Naamdeva (1270 – 1309), of Mahaaraashtra, a lowly tailor by caste, enriched the Bhakti tradition with his both Saguna (God with form) and later Nirguna (God without form) devotional songs.

In Kashmir, Lalleshwari (1335 – 1376) propagated ‘non-dual devotion’ through ‘waakhs’ (sentences). She, living under a Islamic ruler Shah Mir, proclaimed, “ Supreme One pervades the world, Hindus and Muslims are the same.”

Devotional Movement was brought by Santa Raamaanand in the mid 15th century to North India. He openly sang, Nobody asks for anyone’s caste, for one who chants His Name becomes His.” He also propounded a concept that although God Raama was a reincarnation of the Formless One, He is the Supreme Spirit the Formless One.

And his disciple Sants Kabir (1440 – 1510), Ravidaasa (15th century), and Dhannaa (15th century) etc. were preaching ‘non-dualistic (Advaitic) devotion’. Ravidaasa was the Guru of Santa Meeraa (1498 – 1563). (Akkaa Mahaadevi, Lalleshwaree and Meeraa form the trio of famous women rebel devouts that the Hindu society produced 7 to 8 hundred years ago).

Guru Nanak (1469 – 1538) also taught the same, and used all other names of various reincarnations of Brahman like Hari, Har, and Gobinda etc. to convey that these Names, commonly used to indicate different Gods, in fact, indicate the same Supreme One. ‘Chaitanya Mahaaprabhu (1468 – 1533) of Bengal, a contemporary of Guru Nanak, was extremely respected in North India, with his Dualism- based- Devotion.

It is a truism that there are always ups and downs in peoples’ lives and cultures depending on vicissitudes that they pass through. From this extremely brief view of development of ‘Devotion’, recurrence of casteism and rebellions against it in Hindu Society appear to be one such phenomenon. It may also be worth noticing that most of the rebellions against Caste System were initiated by Brahmins. Guru Nanak also belonged to an upper caste.

The great genius of Guru Nanak was that he :

1) Simplified the process of devotion (by chanting) to the utmost and named it ‘Naam Simarana’. He had realized that understanding of Vedas esp. the ‘Advaitic philosophy’ of Upanishads for a man of the world was difficult, as availability of teachers had become difficult. This achievement of simplification is even more remarkable for he did not lose the philosophical essence of complex hymns of the Upanishads.

2) Established the practice of group chanting daily in a regular and disciplined manner. Thus he developed social harmony and love.
3) To avoid rituals, he started a separate temple, appropriately known as ‘Gurudwara’, – door of Guru - for congregational chanting.

4) He used the language of common man like some other Sants. He also used Sanskrit for a few Shlokas (couplets).

5) He started teaching congregations his message through devotional songs (not just poems but musical compositions), obviously one of the most attractive and effective methods. This was done for the first time probably after the compositions of ‘Saama Veda’ and some Upanishads.

6) Although previous Sants had written devotional poems, they had not got them composed musically.

7) In Gurudwaras he started the custom of distributing sanctified Karaaha Parsaada, a sweet food (halwa) which is prepared in a Karaaha – an iron cauldron, hence the adjective. In a congregation, while distributing parsaada, no differential treatment was given to any person based on his caste, gender, status or class. This was a very simple and yet extremely effective method of ensuring equality of all before the Supreme One and also in the society.

8) Those who accepted his teachings were known as ‘Sikhs’ literally meaning disciples. In the period of early Gurus, Sikhs basically remained Hindus. After considerable time the word ‘Sikh’ evolved into the meaning that we are familiar with today, and ‘Sikhism’ was established as a religion.

The goal of both Sikhism and Hinduism is to achieve happiness here and now and also to attain ‘Moksha’ hereafter i.e. liberation from the cycle of birth and death. Looking at the complexity, and difficulty of the other three Paths or Yogas, Guru Nanak chose the simplest ‘Path of Devotion’.

In this Path there are three ways:

Dualist Path of devotion :
There is the God and separately there is His creation. He gives His grace and is merciful, but no person’s soul can ever unite with the God. Some dualists believe that He has a form (saakaar or saguna i.e. Brahman with form).

Non-dualist Path of devotion :
There is the Supreme One who is formless (Niraakaar or Nirguna), and there is His creation, but in essence both are the same. Any person’s soul can unite with Him, indeed the soul is the same in every one, and the Atman and Brahman are the same.

Dualist–Non-dualist Path :
The Supreme One is indeed formless, but He also takes forms when needed to restore justice. This path believes in ‘awataarawaada’ (the other two paths do not believe in this).

Out of these, Guru Nanak chose the Non-dualist (Advaitic or Nirguna) Path, which had been already used by Santa Naamadeva and Santa Kabir etc. who had been preaching the non-dualistic (Advaitic, Nirguna) Path for the past 200 years. And what I find extremely praiseworthy is that Guru Nanak deliberately uses the names of Hindu gods with forms (Saguna) in far too many places for it to be either a chance or to meet necessities of rhythm for the song, or merely to please any group. Names of Gods like Brahma, Vishnu, Mahesh (or Shiva), Rama, Gobinda, Krishna, Paarwatee, Har, Hari etc., who all have ‘forms’, have been used liberally. There is an apparent contradiction in believing in the Supreme One who is both ‘formless’ (Nirguna) and with form (Saguna). This does not throw any doubt on his firm faith in and experience of the non-dual (‘Nirguna’) Supreme One, but indicates that he is preaching that ultimately the Truth or Parabrahma (Supreme One) is both, formless and with form.

Thus rather than merely condemn dualists and create a confrontation, he lovingly reconciles the difference. He says that Rama, Krishna, Shiva etc are the same as Parabrahma. Indeed Hindu scriptures keep reminding everyone about the same truth(Jaimineeya Upanishada Braahmana – 1.14.2; Kathopani. 2.1.12 & 13. Ishopani. – 15 & 16; Geetaa –11. 15 to 24.)

Thanks

pps309

Prime VIP

I am going to tell you why is this fuss.....

Read it with your eyes open.,,,,,,

One idiot came here and wrote that his dad is amritdhari and he is a sikh.Then he mentioned that Sikhs are not different they are part of hindu religion.

So I want to make you clear....that Sikhs are a different religion, No Way Sikh is part of hindu religion.

Then he wrote one day that Sikh philosphy is more Anti-muslim then Anti-hindu.

I want to make him clear sikhs are not anti to any religion. Sikh love sikhism and respect others equally.

If that guy thinks he can make anti muslim sentiments in Sikhs or in that matter anti-religion sentiments in Sikhs.....I want to stop him.

Not only on internet.....I will stop those kind of guys anywhere in this world.

full_taur

I am going to tell you why is this fuss.....

Read it with your eyes open.,,,,,,

One idiot came here and wrote that his dad is amritdhari and he is a sikh.Then he mentioned that Sikhs are not different they are part of hindu religion.

So I want to make you clear....that Sikhs are a different religion, No Way Sikh is part of hindu religion.

Then he wrote one day that Sikh philosphy is more Anti-muslim then Anti-hindu.

I want to make him clear sikhs are not anti to any religion. Sikh love sikhism and respect others equally.

If that guy thinks he can make anti muslim sentiments in Sikhs or in that matter anti-religion sentiments in Sikhs.....I want to stop him.

Not only on internet.....I will stop those kind of guys anywhere in this world.

Its all crap.. His Dad cant be amritdhari.. yaar he is not even a Sikh or even a punjabi... ( Well to be honest, I doubt if he is even a INSAAN)

But PPS bai, yeah I will also stop these kinds of guys anywhere... Anywhere... Lets join hands and teach these sort of people a lesson for there life...

pps309

Prime VIP
Its all crap.. His Dad cant be amritdhari.. yaar he is not even a Sikh or even a punjabi... ( Well to be honest, I doubt if he is even a INSAAN)

But PPS bai, yeah I will also stop these kinds of guys anywhere... Anywhere... Lets join hands and teach these sort of people a lesson for there life...
we are always together...............Veer ji aa Guru Nanak di Sikhi aa eh hamesa kayam rahegi.

WE trust our religion and have full faith in it so We are not worried about its future or existence, we do not try to prove that some religion is bad or is/was the part of our religion.

Dhillon

Dhillon Sa'aB™
Staff member
What’s the debate here? Did someone say that the concept of Sikhism is older than Sikhism itself?
I say I agree. I believe our Gurus took good points from other major religions to conceive Sikh faith.
And this in no way makes me feel less proud of being a Sikh.

Others might disagree with that but please do not indulge in bashing and hurling personal attacks on each other.

oh taan teri gall manni par tu shalli kyu bhanni???????.....ur rite...ya our gurus added nice hymns of some saints of different religion.......it doesnt mean that we orginated from that religion........i dont wanna what that guy wanaa proove????????????

he is bashing our religion........simply from his posts u can judge he is not a sikh......he is just tryin to defame sikhism in one or other way

pps309

Prime VIP
What’s the debate here? Did someone say that the concept of Sikhism is older than Sikhism itself?
I say I agree. I believe our Gurus took good points from other major religions to conceive Sikh faith.
And this in no way makes me feel less proud of being a Sikh.

Others might disagree with that but please do not indulge in bashing and hurling personal attacks on each other.

i feel proud that our Gurus take out good things from other great people.

But the debate is that guy is bent on proving that Sikhism itself is nothing but just a part of hinduism. And that is not correct