What is a defination of sikh?

J@tti

..Majajan..
pps309 said:
the one who believes in Ten Gurus and Guru Granth Sahib and follows their teachings. The person might not be following full reht maryada like Baptism, nitnem......

I know dis much....I am not so good and confident and giving exact definition. I feel dis is wat ppl mean by sehajdhari sikh...

rest SAD(Mann) nd SAD(A) has made more forms of sikhs also...even like the one who eats meat but halal meat.....can also call himself a sikh nd people do call.....so mit be they are also sehajdhari...or its just gud idea to get more voters for their candidates during SGPC elections..

You know Sikhism doesn’t approve of castes right... how come you have jatt Punjabi written under your name :an

As far as I 'm concerned, I firmly believe that a person should adopt things like bravery, fighting against injustice, standing up for under privileged, being truthful, and so on. Attire is not that important to me.

The main intention behind giving Sikhs attire was to give them an identity so that they could stand up against the social injustice, which at that time was Muslims trying to convert Hindus into Muslims. So the main objective was to make Sikhs stand up against injustice and protect basic rights of theirs and others.

I appreciate people who go for baptism or keep their hair because they have firm opinions. But I don't see anything wrong with cutting hair, those people are doing what they think is right and I can't see what's wrong with that.

Da Tiwana

Inspector Sa'ab ;)
sorath mehulaa 3
Sorat'h, Third Mehl:

so sikh sukhaa bundhup hai bhaaee j gur kae bhaanae vich aavai

He alone is a Sikh, a friend, a relative and a sibling, who walks in the Way of the Guru's Will.

aapunai bhaanai jo chulai bhaaee vishurr chottaa khaavai

One who walks according to his own will, O Siblings of Destiny, suffers separation from the Lord, and shall be punished.

bin sathigur sukh kudhae n paavai bhaaee fir fir pushothaavai

Without the True Guru, peace is never obtained, O Siblings of Destiny; again and again, he regrets and repents.

mehulla 4

Fourth Mehl:

gur sathigur kaa jo sikh akhaaeae s bhulukae outh har naam dhiaavai

One who calls himself a Sikh of the Guru, the True Guru, shall rise in the early morning hours and meditate on the Lord's Name.

oudhum kurae bhulukae purubhaathee eisunaan kurae anmrith sar naavai

Upon arising early in the morning, he is to bathe, and cleanse himself in the pool of nectar.

oupudhaes guroo har har jup jaapai sabh kilavikh paap dhokh lehi jaavai

Following the Instructions of the Guru, he is to chant the Name of the Lord, Har, Har. All sins, misdeeds and negativity shall be erased.

fir churrai dhivus gurubaanee gaavai behadhiaa outhadhiaa har naam dhiaavai

Then, at the rising of the sun, he is to sing Gurbani; whether sitting down or standing up, he is to meditate on the Lord's Name.

jo saas giraas dhiaaeae maeraa har har so gurasikh guroo man bhaavai

One who meditates on my Lord, Har, Har, with every breath and every morsel of food - that GurSikh becomes pleasing to the Guru's Mind.

jis no dhaeiaal hovai maeraa suaamee this gurasikh guroo oupudhaes sunaavai

That person, unto whom my Lord and Master is kind and compassionate - upon that GurSikh, the Guru's Teachings are bestowed.

jun naanuk dhoorr mungai this gurasikh kee jo aap jupai avureh naam jupaavai

Servant Nanak begs for the dust of the feet of that GurSikh, who himself chants the Naam, and inspires others to chant it.

With all the posts already done by my friends here i don't think there was anything left for me to add but still i thought why not i put my view points in it as well. :ch

mainu kuchh Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji diyaan panktiyaan miliyaan jehdiyaan main socheya ke aithe sab naal sanjhiyaan karniyaan chahidhiyaan ne.
ehna vich likheya hai ke Guru ji aapne ik sikh to ki expect karde ne. ajjkal de mahaul ch sikhaan vich bohat ziyada takreeraan te behasaan chal rahiyaan ne. so es mauke bajaye es de ke ik banda ki kehnda te dooja ki kehnda mainu lagda aapaan nu dekhna chahida hai ke Guru ji sikh baare ki kehnde ne. te uppar likhiyaan panktiyaan arthaan samet hann taan ke jo koi vi aithe aa ke es nu padhe oho changi taraah samajh sake.:yes

i know ehna gallan te poora uttarnaa mere varge kaljugi jeevaan layi bohat aukha hai par taanhi taan kehnde ne ke sikhi da raah khande di dhaar naalo vi tikha hai te sikhi de school ch admission lain layi fee vi sir di hai:pr

baaki mera aapna view point hai ke sikhism nu tusi sidhe taur te ik dharam di jagah te ik way of living keh sakde ho. kyonke jithe vi sikh ya sikhi di gall hundi hai othe ehi sunde haan ke baal nahi katne, meat nahi khana, jhooth nahi bolna, mera matlab ke ehe nahi karna te ehe karna hai. so simply speaking its just a way to lead your life. te je aapaan rabb di mehar naal Guru ji de dasse hoe raah te chal sake taanhi aapaan uhna de asli bacche te sikh kahaun de hakdaar haan. nahi taan fer maa baap de nalaik bacche vi hunde hi ne.:dts

ghatto ghat aapaan try taan kar sakde ha ke ohna de raah te chal sakiye. te main ehi samjhada haan ke je aapaan 1% vi effort kariye baaki 99% Guru ji aap help karde ne.

so ehe mere kuchh vichaar si sikh te sikhi baare. je kisse de khilaaf koi akhar varteya geya hove taan doven hath jod ke maafi mangadaan haan ji.
bhullan chukaan di khimaa.:pr

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Guest33

Elite
ih tuhadi gal sahi ahi ki ajj kal de kalyugi jeevan ch ihna sab gallan te chal sakna bahut aukha.....par hanji koshish jaroor kar sakde haan....

Guest33

Elite
ih tuhadi gal sahi ahi ki ajj kal de kalyugi jeevan ch ihna sab gallan te chal sakna bahut aukha.....par hanji koshish jaroor kar sakde haan....

Ramta

What is a defination of sikh?

Why do we need a definition in the first place ??
The only reason I believe some people are looking to defining the undefinable is to prove that they are unique.
I believe a Sikh is a Hindu..

But we keep repeating we are different because "We believe God to be ONE."

But how does your belief in that god amounts to him being true and existent?. At one time whole of the world believed that earth is flat but that didn't changed the fact i.e. earth is round.

The fact that many Sikh use terms such as "Hindu Gods" tell us a lot. Probably for them the God of Hindus is different from Waheguru, the God of Muslims and the God of the Christians or the Jews."

God of Hindus is beyond number and count. One which can be counted can not be God it must be some object of perception.

" However, Gurujee has clearly told us that there is only ONE God."

I don't think Gurus taught about any God. They taught about one supreme primordial reality which is substratum of everything. It is my perception that modern Sikh scholars have taken the Christists picture of HInduism as Hinduism and have tried to diffrentiate Sikhism from Hinduism. A spiritual system ( i don't consider Abrahmic cults to be spiritual systems they are theological system) is known by its philosphy not by its rituals. Rituals are mere means not the goal. Goal is the realization of the truth as claimed by the Philosphy. In this light i don't see how the "Akal Purush" of the Granth Shahib is different from the "Brahmn" of the Vedas. The insights of Nanak are as typically Hindu as you can get.

The Self, the objectless self-contained consciousness, is nirguna, beyond the qualities that make for difference between human beings. As a contemporary spiritual teacher said: “What is Self-realization? By what does a ‘realized’ person distinguish himself? Very simple, the special thing about him is this: one who is ‘realized’, realizes that he is the same as everybody else.” The Self has no separate identity, neither individual nor communal.

When we get to this conceptual level, we can see that communal identity in Hindu-Sikh tradition is a superficial reality, relatively acceptable and inevitable in the temporal world, but unreal from the angle of the timeless and colourless Self. By contrast, it has an absolute value in Islam, which decides on eternal heaven and eternal hell on the basis of communal identity: as per the Quran, all “unbelievers” (Sikhs as much as Hindus) carry a one-way ticket to hell. At the fundamental level, for all its adoption of external elements following Islamic models, Sikhism is not a middling position between Hinduism and Islam. Sikhism has never repudiated the doctrine of the Self, which is entirely non-Islamic and entirely Hindu.

I am surprised you don't know such a simple thing when it comes to understanding the message of Gurus. Guru is not a simple human being you should know that. His conciousness is not the constricted conciousness of a normal human.

OK...

Jatt Sanjam Teerath una jugaa ka dharam hai, kal meh keerat Harnama
(Celibacy, self-discipline and pilgrimages were the essence of Dharma in those past ages; but in this Dark Age of Kali Yuga, the Praise of the Lord's Name is the essence of Dharma)"

Hindu saints (given some peoples stand that Gurus were not Hindus) too say the same. Here is what author of Ramcharit Manas Sri Tulsi Das has to say.

NAhi Kali Karam Na Dharam bibeku, Ram Nam Avlamban Eku
(In the age of Kaliyuga neither karma(action) nor bhakti (devotion) nor again Janana (knowledge) avails. Name of Rama is only resort.

What I am saying is that final truth of Sikhism i.e. Akal Purush is same as the "Brahmn" of Vedas. Ofcourse Sikhism has its own rituals and parapharnelia which is different from main stream Hinduism. The difference is in appearance and not in Philosophy.

If Sikhs feel they have different identity it is their choice. I do not detest it. But it shouldn't be born out of inferiorty complex viz a viz Islam & Christianity. But unfortunatly this is the case.

I repeat, the God of Nanak is the same as the supreme primordial reality of the Vedas called "Brahmn". And this is illuminator of the intellect, mind etc through which one count and conceive the world. Hence that supreme which is illuminator of this whole world is God of Hindus(I prefer the term reality instead of God).

As per Hindu and/or Sikh, there is not one god or two god. Instead

GOD ALONE IS.

Thanks

SHauKeeN GaBRu

Chardi Kala
i dunno much.....but jinna main jaanda Full Sikh te Amritdhari hunde ne shayad.....like others mentioned those who r not baptised are known as Sehajdhari Sikhs...

pps309

Prime VIP
Sikhism is a way of life. Sikhism is a way to be jeevan-mukt. Sikhism guides a Sikh to live his life with honor, respect, pride, syncs life with the God, with good deeds.

It was the fruit of Sikhism only that India got so many Sikh Shaeeds during war of Independence.

Proud to be Sikh, I wish to live this way of Life always.

Waheguru Ji Ka khalsa, Waheguru ji Ki Fateh.

SHauKeeN GaBRu

Chardi Kala
Sikhism is a way of life. Sikhism is a way to be jeevan-mukt. Sikhism guides a Sikh to live his life with honor, respect, pride, syncs life with the God, with good deeds.

It was the fruit of Sikhism only that India got so many Sikh Shaeeds during war of Independence.

me toooo :hug

full_taur

me too.. Good Bai.. Sikhi te hun jaan naal hi jayugi...

Sikhism is a way of life. Sikhism is a way to be jeevan-mukt. Sikhism guides a Sikh to live his life with honor, respect, pride, syncs life with the God, with good deeds.quote]

I agree with you mittra. Dil saaf hona chahida, choot nahi bolna chahida, dasvand zaroor kadna chahida, te jinna vi time kad sakiye, waheguru da naam japiye.

:nerd

FYI:

“The word 'Sikh' in Punjabi means 'disciple', Sikhs are the disciples of God who follow the writings and teachings of the Ten Sikh Gurus. The wisdom of these teachings is installed in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib”.<?xml:n
<O:p</O:p

"Any human being who faithfully believes in: (i) One Immortal Being, (ii) Ten Gurus, from Guru Nanak Dev to Guru Gobind Singh, (iii) The Guru Granth Sahib, (iv) The utterances and teachings of the ten Gurus and, (v) the baptism bequeathed by the tenth Guru, and who does not owe allegiance to any other religion is a Sikh." (Reht Maryada, Sikh Code of Conduct)
(source: http://www.sikhs.org/summary.htm). <O:p</O:p

Ramta

djatt,

"Sab Sikhon ko hukum hai Guru manyo Granth"

is what the Dashmesh-Guru said. He never said Guru manyo Rahit Maryada because the Rahit Maryada was not even written then.

The Sikh Rahit Maryada ("Sikh code of conduct"), is a work created in the mid-20th century by the Shiromani Gurdwara Prabandhak Committee out of earlier works which described the proper ways for the Sikh faithful to act in relation to each other and to God.

By the beginning of the seventeenth century the guruship was in the hands of the sixth guru, Hargobind. The Sikhs began to show an element of militancy because of the threat of persecution from Islam, which had brought forth the martyrdom of Guru Arjun. Hargobind fortified Amritsar and built the Akal Takht, the throne of God, opposite Harmandir. This complex of both buildings is referred to as the Golden Temple. Some of the followers of the guru were beginning to be transformed from pacifist members of a religious sect into a highly organized militant body, organized to meet any challenge to the Hindu faith. After Guru Gobind Singh (the last and tenth guru) had formed the Khalsa brotherhood this transformation was complete.

"The best source on Sikh philosophy is the Shri Guru Granth Sahib, with special reference to the Dasma Granth since it was Guru Gobind Singh who distinguished the identity of the Sikhs." -Jimiyat Singh Gill.

Guru Gobind Singh encouraged faith in the hearts of his people at a time of great persecution and fading hope. The total amount of time to develop the accepted Sikh canon took 208 years. Since Guru Gobind Singh was assassinated by a muslim in 1708, anything written after that is of little or no importance to us.

Thanks

PS : "Sikhs are kes-dhari Hindus. Their religious source is Hinduism. Sikhism is a tradition developed within Hinduism. Guru Granth Sahib reflects Vedantic philosophy and Japji Sahib is based on the Upanishads.""R.S.S. is a communal organization and dangerous to the country's secular fabric. Look what they did to Muslims in Gujrat. However, they take a different approach with the Sikhs. During the 1984 Sikh pogrom, they did save many Sikh lives. R.S.S. volunteers participated during the tercentenary celebrations of the Khalsa in 1999. They consider the Khalsa to be a military wing of Hinduism and their savior."
- - Khushwant Singh in an interview on sikhtimes. (CLICK AND READ)

SHauKeeN GaBRu

Chardi Kala
R.S.S. volunteers participated during the tercentenary celebrations of the Khalsa in 1999. They consider the Khalsa to be a military wing of Hinduism and their savior."
- - Khushwant Singh in an interview on sikhtimes. (CLICK AND READ)

hor fer, karan vi kiyo na...Sikhaan karke te Hindu haje vi hege nahi taan Mughalaan ne te Muslim bana dene c saare....

Ramta

hor fer, karan vi kiyo na...Sikhaan karke te Hindu haje vi hege nahi taan Mughalaan ne te Muslim bana dene c saare....

First thing first...

...Many Sikh writings and Sikhs themselves claim that the Sikhs were almost solely responsible for the virtual defeat of the Mughal Empire in India by the mid-18th century. They then go on to make claims like "if it wasn't for our Gurus all you Hindus would have been converted to Islam". That is a joke, a myth that seriously needs exposing. To say that the Hindu religion, which has existed for thousands of years and commands a following of 900 million today was saved from extermination by the Sikhs is a travesty of the truth. Also the Sikh contribution and sacrifices for the defeat of the Mughal forces, which we do not wish to denigrate, was in effect quite marginal compared to the military victories of several other Hindu groups, particularly the Marathas. The lasting Sikh victories only took place and were only possible after the Marathas had already broken the back of the Moghul Empire.

Virtually every inch of India was liberated from the Muslims before the British began their diplomatic take over of India, and the Punjab and some of the surrounding areas, where the Sikhs mainly fought was a relatively small portion of the land. Some areas in India, such as Assam, were never conquered throughout the entire thousand years of Islamic assaults, despite many invasion attempts. Most of India was liberated by the great Marathas and other Hindu militias. Not to speak of the Maratha's having rebuilt the Hari-Mandir as it stands today. (READ)

But this is also problem with the Hindu's. ‘You have been our defenders’, Hindus tell the Sikhs. But in the present psychology, the compliment wins only contempt-and I believe rightly. For self-despisement is the surest way of losing a friend or even a brother. It also gives the Sikhs a sense of exaggerated self-assessment.

Besides contributing towards checking the Mughal's, the Maratha's have also contributed towards the Spiritual aspect of Sikhism. It's a commonly held notion among many Sikh that Guru Nanak was the first to talk sense. There were many before before Him. Gautama Siddhartha Buddha for one. In the 'Shri Guru-Granth-Ji' itself, Thinkers who arrived long before Guru Nanak have made immense contribution. Another Maratha 'Sant Namdev ( 1270 to 1350 )' was one such great thinker who contribute Six Hymns in the Guru-Granth-Ji. A celebrated saint from Maharashtra, Namdev travelled extensively across the country. His hymns we get to read in the Guru-Granth-Ji are the punjabi translations of his works he wrote before Guru Nanak was even born. The other great thinker was Kabir. And there were many like Namdev and Kabir.

London-Toronto based Neo-Sikh believe that Nanak was the first to talk sense only because they have been told that every thing in the Guru-Granth-Ji is a direct revelation to Nanak from God Almighty itself. Nanak had emphasized that his ideas and philosophy was merely a discovery about a reality that had always been there. He was not bringing any new covenants from any God. The history of Nanak or the way he looked is not necessary for Nanaks principles to work. In fact, Nanak stated that he was neither the first nor the last person to have achieved the state of enlightenment. He also asserted that he was not God nor sent by any God as a prophet, and whatever he discovered was available to every human to discover for himself.

Sikhism means following ones own feet and searching for ones own truth instead of being just a parrot prompted by other parrots. And I'm sure Nanak, Buddha, Krishna would approve. The Neo-Sikh and the Khalistanis can continue to believe that a Sikh is distinct from a Hindu but I know that they believe so, not because they are a separate religion but because they want to be.

Whether you admit it or not thats the Truth.

Sikh literally means student. Sardar means the one who is ready to lay down his head. The concept of Sikhism did not come in picture till the 10th Guru, Guru Gobind Singh Ji - Now, isn't Gobind(Gau da Bind) same as Krishna(Govind)? - Sikhism was a way of life, the way of pure, the way of Khalsa. The great Guru wanted warriors who were saints, who would protect the weak and helpless from Mughal atrocities. I cannot over-stress the point but Sikhism never came up as a religion but as a way of the warrior against injustice on not only "Sikhs"(which were not there at the time) but everybody. The warriors of justice and peace against tyranny. And as it happens after death of great masters, it became yet another religion, anachronous and stuck in time.

Thanks.

there is a difference between a Sikh and a Khalsa,every khalsa is a Sikh but every Sikh is not a khalsa unless he/she receives baptism.
Although Guru Gobind Singh offered the highest honor to Khalsa, he did not expect every Sikh to become khalsa. One of his most favorite poets Bhai Nand Lal and more than half of his other poets, for example, did not become khalsa.

agreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee