JHATKA, the Sikh mode of killing an animal for food,

Mahaj

YodhaFakeeR
not to make god happy ...!!
socially yeah they do ...they have their own way of living

Mahaj

YodhaFakeeR
i will call it respect ..rather than rutuals
all the things like jyot aarti rumaala ....all are "manmats" ..and all the rehnama's state it as manmat..even gurbani says to respect guru..!!

But we do have rituals to please our Guru - SGGS

Shabad hi Guru hey tey Guru Shabad hey. SGGS(as a sole book) is not our Guru.....jehra kuch ohdey ch likhea....the thoughts, the practices and lifestyle. Those are our Guru.

If you are never going to follow any of those then i think you are induldging in useless rituals. However, man hauli hauli change hunda....so on the other hand, i think by giving respect to those thoughts and practices you are actually in your own way trying to mold yourself into that lifestyle by creating a positive environment...that is where respect(or useless rituals according to you) come in.

However, if you are just doing it because the whole world is doing it and have no intention of incorporating those beliefs into your lifestyle then its of no use.

Its complex...and not as easy you make it out to be.:nerd

I would say 'Jattan di Sikhism' as jatts are responsible for most of the distortion of Sikhism.

here are some of the rituals in Sikhism.

• Amrit Shakna
  • Akhand Paath
  • Sehaj Paath
  • Dastarbandi
  • 5 Sikh bethane
hor bhi bahut sarre, par eh gall hor aa ke Sikh mande ne ki eh bhi ritual hunde :p

If building social customs or religious institutions to keep sikhs knowledgeable about sikhism are rituals then i guess christianity, hinduism and islam have been doing it for years if not centuries.

One thing you need to remember is sikhs do these to often socially educate their own children or others about their religion and prepare them for the lifestyle. As you may know SIKHS DONT GO OUT AND ACTIVELY SEEK converts from other communities...These so called rituals as you term them are done more out of the need of socially educating their children which are sikhs... not like brahmans to show off or please gods.

Now sikhs wont even need this if we had our own country or our own education system rather than the gandhi, nehru code imposed in our schools which thinks teaching us about bahadur shah zafar is important..:rofl.. These so called rituals do what part of the education system should be doing....EDUCATE SIKHS ABOUT SIKHI.

All these are my own opinions.

On topic: There is no "sikh way" of killing an animal.

Although not written anywhere i think sikhs should only eat meat when there is nothing else around to eat......which i dont is the case...otherwise sikhs should keep their high standards even in terms of diet whenever possible and should not justify killing animals for selfish purposes.

Dhillon

Dhillon Sa'aB™
Staff member
These so called rituals as you term them are done more out of the need of socially educating their children which are sikhs... not like brahmans to show off or please gods.

Now sikhs wont even need this if we had our own country or our own education system rather than the gandhi, nehru code imposed in our schools which thinks teaching us about bahadur shah zafar is important..:rofl.. These so called rituals do what part of the education system should be doing....EDUCATE SIKHS ABOUT SIKHI.

All these are my own opinions.

Why can't be have a decent debate without dragging other religions and their practices ? lack of maturity or a hobby ?

And how does bunch of Paathis reading Gurbani to themselves for five days at trot educate our kids ?

I agree about the last part, SIKHS DO NEED SOME EDUCATION ABOUT SIKHI ;)

Why can't be have a decent debate without dragging other religions and their practices ? lack of maturity or a hobby ?

Compare and contrast :nerd

We can really understand only those things that are familiar to us or similar to things we already understand, so comparing and contrasting the unfamiliar with the familiar is one of the most important techniques for writing or explaining your viewpoint to someone.

An English literary technique.....hope you heard of it. :pop

And how does bunch of Paathis reading Gurbani to themselves for five days at trot educate our kids ?

People can learn a lot by listening to Gurbani and asking questions.

And if i want to do acquaint my kid with dastar by doing dastarbandi or pagri tying when he is young then i think its worth doing.

Again what may seem rituals to you is a way of me compensating for the inadequate educational system.

Hun gal hor honi c jeh sikhs only school with special fee structure, SGPC walo hundey( par jeh pagg mandatory karan tey ik school ch non sikhs ney ehna raula paea c tah eh hon tey tah agg hi lag jau) :rolleyes:

Da Tiwana

Inspector Sa'ab ;)
Akhand Paath.
dhillon sa'ab aukha baahla. get ur facts straight first n then start arguing over sum foolish things.
Sri Akhand Paath sahib is for 3 days n not 5 days.

n may i ask, that since i requested in the very beginning of this thread to close it, as there was already another thread with the same topic, why wasn't it closed?

i hope i can get an answer for that.

Thanks.

Akhand Paath.

Like someone already said, Akhand Paath is for 3 days not 5 and a loudspeaker is used(whenever we had a Akhand Paath) during the day so that people can actually listen to what is being said and learn.

Your are falsily assuming without proof that noone is listening during Akhand Paath. :pr

then I must say you are pretty bad at that :sleepy

Sadly the world where we live in, everyone is entitled to an opinion. :p

Dhillon

Dhillon Sa'aB™
Staff member
dhillon sa'ab aukha baahla. get ur facts straight first n then start arguing over sum foolish things.
Sri Akhand Paath sahib is for 3 days n not 5 days.

n may i ask, that since i requested in the very beginning of this thread to close it, as there was already another thread with the same topic, why wasn't it closed?

i hope i can get an answer for that.

Thanks.

This is embarrassing :em

Dhillon

Dhillon Sa'aB™
Staff member
And if i want to do acquaint my kid with dastar by doing dastarbandi or pagri tying when he is young then i think its worth doing.

Yes,Some Rituals are important and for purposes.
So why do people claim there are no Rituals in Sikhi,

Like someone already said, Akhand Paath is for 3 days not 5 and a loudspeaker is used(whenever we had a Akhand Paath) during the day so that people can actually listen to what is being said and learn.

Your are falsily assuming without proof that reciting Gurbani to people has no benefits. :pr

Sadly the world where we live in, everyone is entitled to an opinion. :p

Listening to Gurbani is one thing and understanding is completely different.
idha nahi ke jo sunn rahe oh samj bhi rahe.

H4RVI SINGH

Prime VIP
je aehi ik japji sahib da path krlo ...... te man ch aeho jiya jawala mukhiyan te nahin fatangiya,,,,,,, kalyug aa , jo hai usde hukam ch hai .........