Marriage Act

J@tti

..Majajan..
Do Sikhs get married under Hindu Marriage Act of India or is there a separate Anand Marriage Act?

J@tti

..Majajan..
That's not very nice. We should have Anand Marriage Act.. While we are similar to Hindus in some fashion, we have our own identity.

pps309

Prime VIP
That's not very nice. We should have Anand Marriage Act.. While we are similar to Hindus in some fashion, we have our own identity.
wo to hai, par aap kar v kaya sakte hai? Kanoon to kanoon hai, uski ulangna karna varjit hai.

j/k..nothing to say

J@tti

..Majajan..
Is there a way we can propose a change? Do we need to be in contact with lawyers or can we mail a request.. petition.. something?

munda_wakhre_type_da

-- Kem da Gui --
MP's can raise dis issue .. and a bill needs to be passed.. dis is the proper channel I believe..

once it has been raised by simranjit singh maan or mr. barnala bt it wasnt heared sincerely... main eh gal suni hai and I dnt know about its autenticity

SehaJ

Troublemaker
Is there a way we can propose a change? Do we need to be in contact with lawyers or can we mail a request.. petition.. something?

R u kidding? do u think that no sikh would have raised this ques or requested the same?

Thier would be definatly some reasons which is stopping them to start a seperate act.

J@tti

..Majajan..
So do you mind sharing the "reasons", Mr. Sehaj.

Here is what I found, wachitar prani:

Time to implement the Anand Marriage Act
I read a statement in The Tribune by Sardar Simranjit Singh Mann (MP) on the Anand Marriage Act. It was a very proper and timely statement as the core is the distinct identity of the Sikhs. It is quite ironical that the identity which was accepted by the foreign rulers, is being eroded by the indigenous ones. A disgruntled minority is a potent threat to the unity of the country and health of the national body politic. A satisfied minority is an asset.
Sardar Mann’s efforts should be viewed and assessed in this context. There is a need to rise above party politics and narrow political considerations. Such unmindful politicisation of a nationally important issue does not argue well for healthy political traditions. The Anand Marriage Act should be implemented with sincerity and Sikhs should be brought out of the pale of the Hindu Marriage Act. It is not anything new as our constitution admits and grants distinctiveness to Sikh identity.

Dhillon

Dhillon Sa'aB™
Staff member
Actually the problem is just the name ' Hindu marriage Act' as the marriage act just states the reasons for annulment/divorce, marital rights and children legitimacy, all being same for sikhs and hindus, a separate marriage act isn't required.

but it should be renamed to 'Indian marriage act' or something.

amanwadhwa

Prime VIP
india has peoples of many religions.and
if you want Anand Marriage Act christians will ask for their and parsi will ask for their.by the way
india has only two marriage act hindu marriage act and muslim.but they are now making a new act for all the religions.and cancelling muslim act.

J@tti

..Majajan..
I would not want to get a marriage certificate that says "Hindu Marriage Act".. if they have just one for all religions, and have it named "Indian Marriage Act".. I have no issues. Similarly, I prefer calling India, India.. rather than Hindustan because it's home to people from all religions not just Hindus.

amanwadhwa

Prime VIP
I would not want to get a marriage certificate that says "Hindu Marriage Act".. if they have just one for all religions, and have it named "Indian Marriage Act".. I have no issues. Similarly, I prefer calling India, India.. rather than Hindustan because it's home to people from all religions not just Hindus.
it's india officially not hindustaan.ok

pps309

Prime VIP

I am not sure if we can propose a change. Its already been proposed by S. Simarnjit Singh Maan when he was MP from Sangrur.

Only those Sikh couples who are getting married outside India are getting rid of this.
I know few of my Sikh friends who were not interested in getting registered under Hindu Marriage Act, hence they married in Thailand and USA.

pps309

Prime VIP
but it should be renamed to 'Indian marriage act' or something.

Hanji......na iski na uski...sarre ik brobar.

But its democracy and majority rules......no matter whether Singh is King but queen dictates the game and Prince has expressed his willingness to become next king. Old King's allies are still roaming freely after mass-murdering so many brothers of singh is king.

Socrates was right but he was given a death sentence.
Moral: Never oppose the demoracy, otherwise you will be given death (death of a terrorist, naxalite or may be saheed).

correct me if i m wrong.. but there ws a sikh marriage act.. at the time of partition, nehru promised many privileges . . and they also promised sikh marriage act..:kin but u noe politicians :p . they implemented it in 1948 i guess.. sumwhere around that time.. nd it vanished away by 1955 or 1957 i blv:an
since den sikhs r married under hindu marriage act

pakistan has sikh anand marriage act wonder y india doesn't 've it :cutie

Dhillon

Dhillon Sa'aB™
Staff member

The word hindu came from hindustan,not the other way around.
same way the word 'sikh' came from sikhsha/sikhiya.
Anti-sikhs hating the words sikhsha/sikha will be quite amusing, no ?

As for the word 'india'

• at first our land was called 'sindh' ( sapt sindhu )
  • middle asians couldn't pronounce sindh, so it became hind ( hind stan - stan means land in persian )
  • European couldn't pronounce hind and it became ind ( India )
:)