Sikh Marriage Act ready for Cabinet nod

Dhillon

Dhillon Sa'aB™
Staff member
Do you guys even realise what a Marriage Act is (or at-least should be in case of India)

here are some of the rules for marriage in India.
legal age of 21 and 18
polygamy
no dowry
etc. etc.

Do you want different laws for Sikhs or what ?

SHauKeeN GaBRu

Chardi Kala
^^^cultures of those countries got diverse due to the migrants, so their govts had taken care of that by having an act covering the diverse cultures, not specific to one culture/religion

but India was already diverse when it was formed, so the leaders should have at that time itself enacted a common act covering all the diversities

pps309

Prime VIP
Now, no government will abolish Hindu (80% votes) or Muslim (15-16% votes) Marriage Act.......so its better to get one for Sikhs too

SHauKeeN GaBRu

Chardi Kala
Do you guys even realise what a Marriage Act is (or at-least should be in case of India)

here are some of the rules for marriage in India.
legal age of 21 and 18
polygamy
no dowry
etc. etc.

Do you want different laws for Sikhs or what ?

this is not the actual argument...guys here are arguing that Sikhs should be considered as a Sikh by 'Any' Marriage Act and not as Hindu according to Hindu Marriage Act

hope u get the point :nerd

Dhillon

Dhillon Sa'aB™
Staff member
this is not the actual argument...guys here are arguing that Sikhs should be considered as a Sikh by 'Any' Marriage Act and not as Hindu according to Hindu Marriage Act

hope u get the point :nerd

I am saying that there should not be seperate hindu , sikh or muslim acts.
Just one Indian Marriage Act, with uniform laws for everyone.

If people feel so strong about it, may be a religion column on the marriage certificate announcing ones religion.

SHauKeeN GaBRu

Chardi Kala
I am saying that there should not be seperate hindu , sikh or muslim acts.
Just one Indian Marriage Act, with uniform laws for everyone.

If people feel so strong about it, may be a religion column on the marriage certificate announcing ones religion.

I agree with you, even I'm not against a common act.

However, guys here are arguing, will the majority in India let the Hindu Marriage Act be abolished??? Most probable answer is 'NO'. So, in that case Sikhs get their own Act.

Dhillon

Dhillon Sa'aB™
Staff member
@ Dhillon bhaji, in some of your posts u've mentioned religious rituals being unimportant, would like to ask you whether the marriages that happened before the enactment of the Marriage Law were illegal???

you took my comments out of context.