Sikh Marriage Act ready for Cabinet nod

pps309

Prime VIP
If Sikhs have to follow same traffic rules as Hindus, are they loosing their Distinctiveness and Identity ??
Yes, they will loose identity if Sikhs have to follow same traffic rules as Hindus, including the rule of helmet.
Wearing helmets while riding a bike, wearing helmets while fighting a war, wearing helmets while controlling riot etc etc....This is what Common civil code will be, whenever CCC will become reality it will be on the same line. And Indian marriage act or common marriage act will pave way for CCC. I am totally not in favor of it, I as a selfish Sikh will always favor Sikh Marriage Act.

You might not be bothered by that, because you don't believe in appearence.
You expressed your opinion, I expressed mine. I am pretty sure, mine is not an opinion of only 1 person, it will be opinion of arnd 2% of India's poulation or 60% punjab poulation and 80% of sikh population.

pps309

Prime VIP
Mr Dhillon, I feel that the idea of common act is coming in your mind on a belief that law/political game will be fair. But it is never the case, there is no fair game in politics, laws/rules are always made and bent to appease the vote bank i.e. majority.

Marriage acts deals with the legal aspects of marriage. It should do just that and nothing else.
If Hindu marriage Act is renamed as Indian Marriage Act, And any mention of marital rituals and group classifications are removed, Whatever left will absolutely apply to all Sikhs.

Agreed but only if "whatever that is left" doesn't infringe on their religious freedom because after all Sikhs define marriage as a religious ceremony not a legal contract. In addition, the majority will always use these laws to assimilate minorities into the majority in order to satisfy their selfish purposes. i.e increase votebanks etc.... An example would be how minorities are classified as "hindus" under the Hindu Marriage Act. FACT

If Sikhs have to follow same traffic rules as Hindus, are they loosing their Distinctiveness and Identity ??

Sikhs do follow the same traffic rules....:wacko........Ohna di red light 2 mint pehla hari ni hundi....

Dhillon

Dhillon Sa'aB™
Staff member
Mr Dhillon, I feel that the idea of common act is coming in your mind on a belief that law/political game will be fair. But it is never the case, there is no fair game in politics, laws/rules are always made and bent to appease the vote bank i.e. majority.

Provide an example of a law that will suit hindus but not sikhs ?

Sikhs do follow the same traffic rules....:wacko........Ohna di red light 2 mint pehla hari ni hundi....

So Why cant sikhs follow the same Marriage Laws ?

^^Because they marry in their religious context which is different from HINDUS.

Now, what is the harm in that? - Do answer this ( other then the ultra - nationalistic answer of it will divide india)

Sikh society is based on Religion...thus the need for this seperate act. I have mentioned this countless times in this thread.

And the Punjabi form of registering a marriage mentions Anand Karaj(a SIKH practice) specifically.

For those who don't want religious interference there is always the court. So like i said everyone should be happy. You are beating a dead horse by forcing your views on others.

Dhillon

Dhillon Sa'aB™
Staff member
Why do people have to mention any religious ritual to register a marriage ?
Do you also want separate Sikh Birth and Death Certificates ?

feel free to ignore this topic.

It's called diversity.....some people are motivated by religion and some are not. Inclusion rather than exclusion is good. Otherwise everyone would just fight each other.

If you want to all out oppose religion(specifically sikh since i am only educated about it).....then why dont you oppose the langar(free kitchen) where everyone is fed regardless of any differences in age,gender,color or religion or nagar kirtan a parade where streets end up cleaner then they started.

So if any religious person wants to identify himself with those good things......by having sikh written on his birth certificate, shirt, bag, marriage certificate and death certificate then i think he/she should be allowed especially because he/she is not harming any1.

Feel free to ignore the last 2 pargraphs if you want.

Just to add to that....

What i personally think is Sikhs have the right to these accomodations( if you would like to call it that) since at the time of independence Sikhs were told that they would be allowed to ..experience the glow of freedom in a setup in North India.

I bet if at that time you would have said to them that you will not get any seperate accomodations or acts, you will be classified as hindus to suit the majorities purpose, wont be allowed to make your own laws then they would have taken their own country.

userid50966

for muslims they can marry more than once but for other religion they cann't according to law at present, so if u make one marriage act thn this give hindu, sikh jain or other religion to keep more thaan one wife
is that justify it?

Da Tiwana

Inspector Sa'ab ;)
dear dhillon sir,
i dunno why it is so hard for you to acknowledge dat there is a vast difference on how a Hindu marriage takes place and how a Sikh marriage takes place. traffic lights and marriage can't be corelated. coz crossing traffic lights is same for Hindus and Sikhs, but getting into marriage is different for Hindus and Sikhs. in case its hard for you to understand, how its different, then lemme help u by making it clear dat in case of Hindus, its 7 fere and in case of Sikhs, its Anand Karaj. now when two different things are happening, even though the ultimate goal is same, then my dear friend, there has to be a separate law for each ceremony. and as far as your other querry goes regarding, ehy are rituals necessary for marriage, den my dear you have to consider dat marriages have been happening long before The Constituion or in dat case any written law came into existence, so rituals are more important dan any law. and den simply if a person didn't get married as per hindu rituals, den why is the person being registered under Hindu marriage act? why if a person getting married under Sikh customs and rituals, askin for registration under Sikh Marriage Act such a big fuss? i m hard to make it out.
n last but not the least, if you want to understand and see the logic, den above discussions till now are, I think, more dan enough. But if you have just made your mind to oppose everything and anything being said for a separate identity of Sikhs, den my friend, u'll never be able to understand and no matter how logical a discussion is put infront of you, it'll never make any sense to you.
i hope u get wot i want to say.
thanks n love ;)

Dhillon

Dhillon Sa'aB™
Staff member
Dear Satwant,
I agree to everything you said in your post. Our religion and our religion ceremonies are absolutely important to us. Also Sikhs should not be registered under a Hindu law ( nor should a hindu for forced to register under a Sikh law )

But instead of having different Marriage Law for each religion and community I am in favour of a uniform act that applies to all citizens. Like every other country in the world.

Da Tiwana

Inspector Sa'ab ;)
first of all thanks for agreeing with my views. n regarding your second point, the only thing is dat dere is already a separate law for Hindus n Muslims. either it could be done dat govt abolish both dese acts n make a new Indian Marriage Act n in dat every religion and ritual be treated separately, be it in case of Hindus, Muslims, Sikhs, or any oder. or the second is dat the govt. continues wid Hindu n Muslim Acts n make a separate Act for Sikhs. so any way is fine. But putting Sikhs in Hindus n treating Muslims separately, is like challenging the separate identity of Sikhs, n dat my dear is wrong on the part of the Govt.

pps309

Prime VIP
What is the harm with enactment of Sikh Marriage Act? There are already 3 of them, adding 1 more to it is not going to harm anyone. Anyhow we have 18 official languages.

Unlike other countries, India is very diverse with diff languages, religions and people, you can't put them all in one shoe.

SHauKeeN GaBRu

Chardi Kala
If Hindus and Muslims have their marriage acts, then whats the harm in having a separate Marriage Act for Sikhs??

Politicians who formed India would have known that India's population is going to be very diverse, culturally and religiously. So they should have known how to accommodate their needs and desires.

However, a common marriage act is a good idea, given that it gives each and every religious body in the country to look after and form the religious virtues of marriage and the act itself would be considered for the legal aspects. But this should have happened at the time when the first act was coming into place. :nerd

SHauKeeN GaBRu

Chardi Kala
@ Dhillon bhaji, in some of your posts u've mentioned religious rituals being unimportant, would like to ask you whether the marriages that happened before the enactment of the Marriage Law were illegal???

Dhillon

Dhillon Sa'aB™
Staff member
What is the harm with enactment of Sikh Marriage Act? There are already 3 of them, adding 1 more to it is not going to harm anyone. Anyhow we have 18 official languages.

Unlike other countries, India is very diverse with diff languages, religions and people, you can't put them all in one shoe.

US/UK/Canada/AUS etc.. also have very diverse cultures.
If there are 20 different set of Acts then Its hardly an Act/law.
People will just jump from one religion to another to suit them.