Why khalistan is a bad idea..

• Thread starter Jasbeer-Singh
  • Start date
  • Replies 0
  • Views 3K
J

Jasbeer-Singh

This thread is in response to pro Khalistan threads. I being an Indian Sikh feel appalled to talk about this idea that doesn't seem to be in line with the central idea of Sikhi which is all about 'Sarbat Da bhala'.

The opinions expressed are my personal viewpoint, all those who are not in line with my idea are requested to not be impulsive and provocative in case if you reply and a humble request be open to the 'other side'

Here are my reasons of why Khalistan is a Bad idea. I will cover Broadly six major factors. Politically, Demographically, Economically, Historically, legally, Ethically

1.)Politically.. It is really difficult to make a separate Sikh country. First of all let us be very clear that at this moment the UN or any Nation in the World will never support making of a Country based on 'Religion' after the ISIS fiasco in Iraq & Syria where a group tried to establish a theocratic state on the basis of Islam and Shariat coupled by Failure of Pakistan and a Chaotic Israel in the Middle East. Secondly, a demand with the name of "Sikh" Nation is least likely (or u can say very surely not likely) to get the support by largest religious community in Punjab i.e. Punjabi Hindus and Muslims.

2.)Demographically.. A request to all the people who are die hard Khalistan supporters please study the current demographics of Indian Punjab, Pakistan Punjab, Haryana and Himachal as both of them were a former part of greater Punjab in India. We just have one Indian Punjab measuring 50,000 sq km with a simple Majority of Sikhs around 57% (2011 census) rest all other states are either overwhelmingly Hindu or Muslim, so demand of Sikh Nation will ideally qualify for just a small piece of land which is the Indian Punjab that too without any Coastline, we either have to depend on India or Pakistan for the Trade. Then the most important point please spare a thought about the 5 million Sikhs (2011 Census) who are settled outside Punjab in India and the Gurdwaras (Two Takhts, bangla Sahib, Sis Ganj, Bandi Chor, Nanak Piao, Nanak Mata) which will be left out of Khalistan to which we currently have easy access as all are a part of India and which are maintained in a very good state.

3.)Economically.. To earn and churn money for a nation Govt needs to have multiple sources, if we just look at the current Punjab state it is heavily dependent on agriculture (that too takes a massive hit if the rains are less) apart from Industrial production houses. Other than that Punjab has negligible source, for example there are no Raw materials produced or mined in Punjab then there is no coastline and neither there is any income from Tourism except for Sikh Religious Places which cannot be kept for revenue generation. Then a major point that Punjab depends heavily on the labour from the state of UP & Bihar in India which will of course be blocked after it gets separated, thoughts must also be given as to whom the production (agricultural and industrial) can be sold to, currently all of the things get absorbed in India and some exported. Last but not the least the Banking & Finance sector in entire South Asia lags far behind when compared to Europe and North America or pacific, so thinking that we may make Punjab a future banking Hub will amount to a wishful thinking.

4.)Historically.. Now Talking about History, Many will claim that Guru Gobind Singh gave a clear message of making a nation on the basis of line 'Raj karega Khalsa'. Without arguing it further on ideal lines and deeper meanings let me take it litreally for now and ask you. Didn't we Rule during Maharaja Ranjit Singh's time? and didn't we loose our Raj due to our own mistakes giving in to an opportunist, expansionist British Empire? Also it is an interesting thing that in the entire History of Punjab since the time of Guru Nanak. Punjab has been ruled by Mughals, Afghans, Pathans, Sikhs, British and then Divided between India & Pakistan.. Sikh rule was from 1799 to 1849 (in which we started loosing territories after 1845) looking by that logic in a big span of five hundred year History Sikhs have ruled for just 50 yrs on that basis how can a Community lay claim on it? Going by that Tomorrow Iranians can come and claim Pakistan or entire India by saying their ancestors Ruled India for 200 yrs.. As a Sikh we may be biased but we have to have a look at it logically and ask ourselves will anyone will agree to such thing?

5.)Legally.. Analysing the legality of the issue the major point comes which land we lay our claim to? I have heard people quoting Maharaja Ranjit Singh's Rule to prove it's legality but then if that's the basis, where was his Capital and why we forget itr? It was Lahore that is currently the Capital of Pakistan Punjab and along with it the bigger Punjab happens to be in Pakistan even after combining Haryana and Himachal (Erstwhile Punjab of India). So then demand must be raised to Pakistan first instead of India then. Khalistanis counter this point by giving the reason of Sikh Population in Pakistan.. Well, then it makes us Sikhs stand in the dock , are we ignoring the deplorable crime committed by Pakistan against Sikhs and just selctively getting outraged at India? It's an unfortunate reality that Pakistan never allowed Sikhs to grow in their country and Sikhs are not even 0.1% of entire Pakistan where they use to be more then 10% (just Pakistan) while in India outside Punjab Sikh Population is well settled and run in millions, so are we giving a freeway to Pakistan then? Why we just cherry pick India and it's crime? Are we setting an example of selective outrage? During the Durbar Days the Dogras, Muslims, Pathans use to be loyal to Sikh Empire what steps been taken to take every one along..?

6.)Ethically.. By Demanding Punjab, that too India's are we sending a message to the World that Sikhism is faith meant to be practised only by Punjabis? In this Globalised World where we see Religions and it's practices becoming global (like Yoga, Tai Chi, Zen, Kung Fu etc.) we are fighting to make it shrink to just one state in South Asia? This will be the grave injustice to those Sikhs who are not Punjabis. Precisely this is the reason why Sikhism has been so limited in it's spread. It is also an indirect kind of an insult to org. like 3HO whose relentless efforts and prachaar got Sikhi the recognition of official Religion in Chile? How this was achieved? This was done by Amalgamating Sikh ethos with local language and Culture, separate nation in a particular geographical region will just tarnish the image of Sikhi as we may be and will be looked upon as people who are obsessed with Punjab and Punjabi Culture, how can then we spread Guruji's word to the World at large?

NOTE:Please read my points clamly and with open mind. It's my personal opinion and should be the opinion of many Sikhs like me as well (not all of course)