Sangakkara quits, says Lanka needs new Cap for next Cup

prithvi.k

on off on off......
Emulating his predecessor, Kumar Sangakkara on Tuesday stepped down as captain of Sri Lanka’s ODI and T20 teams, saying a new man must take over the reins and prepare the squad for the next World Cup. “I would like to announce that after careful consideration I have concluded it is in the best long-term interests of the team that
I step down now as captain so that a new leader can be properly groomed for the 2015 Cup in Australia,” a statement from Sangakkara said.

The wicketkeeper-batsman has offered to continue to lead the Test side for the upcoming series against England and Australia “if the selectors believe this would help the new captain and aid the transition”. The announcement came barely three days after Sri Lanka lost the World Cup title clash to India.

Maha Sanga

•Was third highest rungetter in this World Cup, with 465 runs at average of 93. Named captain of ICC’s 2011 World Cup XI

•Unusually, Sanga’s average shot up in all 3 forms of the game after he became captain

•Under him, SL won 5, lost 3 and drew 6 Tests; won 27, lost 14 ODIs; and won 12 and lost 9 T20 games

•Is 4th captain to quit after the World Cup, following Ricky Ponting (Aus), Graeme Smith (SA) and Daniel Vettori (NZ)

• Options to replace him:
T Dilshan and Angelo Mathews for ODIs, Thilan Samaraweera for Tests