Misbah to quit ODIs after 2015 WC

[JUGRAJ SINGH]

Prime VIP
Staff member
Pakistan captain Misbah-ul Haq has said that he will quit one-day international cricket after the 2015 World Cup in Australia and New Zealand. The veteran right-hander had informed the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) of his decision to quit although he wants to keep playing Test cricket.

The 40-year-old becomes Pakistan's second senior player after Shahid Afridi to announce his ODI retirement after the World Cup. "It's my final decision and I have informed the PCB of my decision," Misbah told AFP. "It would be icing on the cake if I retire with a World Cup win and I will do my best to do that. I've thought about this for a long time. The World Cup is an important event and I want to finish on a winning note," said Misbah, who will be playing his second World Cup after featuring in Pakistan's semi-final finish in 2011," he said.

Earlier on Sunday, a PCB official said that Misbah had conveyed his decision to the board a few days back. "Unlike Shahid Afridi who went ahead and announced he would retire from one-day internationals after the World Cup Misbah has said he would like to do it through the board," the official was quoted as saying by PTI. "He is keen to lead Pakistan in the Test series against Sri Lanka, England and India this year," the official disclosed.

"He has taken a graceful step and we want to give him a worthy send-off on January 13 before the start of the short training camp and he will formally hold a press conference." PCB spokesman Agha Akbar said.

Misbah has been Pakistan's Test captain since November 2010 and has led the ODI side since May 2011. The board official stated that as a fallout of Misbah's call to quit 50-overs cricket, the PCB has already asked head coach Waqar Younis and chief selector Moin Khan to submit a comprehensive post World Cup plan under which appointment of new captains will take place.

With Shahid Afridi already having announced his decision to retire from ODIs earlier, and now with Misbah announcing his retirement plans, another veteran Younus Khan is expected to quit ODIs post the World Cup. Misbah played 153 ODIs, having scored 4,669 runs at an average of 42.83 with 37 fifties, the most runs without a hundred in all one-day internationals.

Pakistan will fly to New Zealand on January 21 to play two ODIs on January 31 and February 3. They will play two warm-up games on February 9 and 11 before taking on India in their first World Cup match in Adelaide on February 15.