Anurag ‘played up violence’ in Wasseypur

Lily

B.R
Staff member
Filmmaker Anurag Kashyap, whose Gangs of Wasseypur -Part 2 hits theatres this week, says he did not put any stop when it came to portraying violence in a raw and real manner.

The first part had raised some eyebrows for its graphic nature but the director says he believes that real violence is a deterrent and does not inspire.

“I have a strong point about violence. In Gangs of Wasseypur I wanted to take violence forward and play it up.

“Our films don’t depict violence in a realistic manner and that inspires people to act like a hero where as real violence makes you uncomfortable, it makes you flinch and you would not want to do something which disturbs you,” Kashyap said on the sidelines of the Osian’s Cinefan film festival.

The second part, which is set in present Wasseypur, made its world premiere at the festival on Sunday.

Referring to his unreleased film Paanch, Kashyap says he has been arguing about the right portrayal of violence since then.

“We try to negate whatever disturbs us and become overprotective. It is an adult film and not made for impressionable minds. There was a complete beheading scene but we cut it short voluntarily after censor objected.”

Kashyap has kept his engagement with popular cinema and its impact on people in the second part too. Many of the characters behave like popular Bollywood stars like Sanjay Dutt and Salman Khan.

The director, who has grown up watching cinema of the ’70s, says he was not sarcastic while presenting it in the film.

“I am celebrating Bollywood and its impact on people. It has influenced the film in a big way.”

The film richly explores the folk tunes of Bihar, making Sneha Khanwalker’s music a hit.

When asked whether he was worried about using local songs, Kashyap said he was surprised with the way music was accepted.

“When we were making Dev D people said the music won’t work. It would not be played on radio but it did. The time to worry is gone. Just because some people say that it will not work, we should not stop experimenting with new sounds.” Starring Nawazuddin Siddiqui, Richa Chadha, Reemma Sen, Huma Qureshi, and Zeishan Quadri, Gangs of Wasseypur - Part 2 releases on August 8.