We have got the momentum now: Rahane

[JUGRAJ SINGH]

Prime VIP
Staff member
Ajinkya Rahane was a contended man after leading India to a convincing seven wicket victory in the rain-hit first ODI against Bangladesh in Dhaka. The right-handed batsman made a classy 70-ball 64 and was involved in a 100-run stand with Robin Uthappa for the opening wicket. Set a target of 272, India reached 100/1 in the 17th over before the heavens opened up. Upon resumption after a 165-minute delay, India knocked off the revised target (150 in 26 overs) with 7 balls to spare.

"This [series] is a great opportunity for everyone to just express yourself," Rahane told reporters after the match. "We don't want to put too much pressure on ourselves. As a batsman you need that confidence going into a new series and the first game against Bangladesh in Bangladesh is always a challenge because they are a good team and they play well here."

Rahane started in a cautious manner, but once set, he played some expansive shots on either side of the wicket. However he was dismissed with India within reach of the target. "I wanted to be not out till the end. Happy that we won the game though," he said. "That's what we wanted. We've got that momentum now and we just want to continue with it. We're not looking too far ahead. Right now, we are just focusing on the next two games. We want to back our game and personally I am not thinking too far ahead. I just want to bat well and improve my game with every match."

The selectors chose an experimental side for the series with as many as eight regulars being rested ahead of the England tour. Rahane though wasn't perturbed at the criticism labelled against his team. "Every international game will count. So we are not thinking about it [making a statement]. Whoever is here, they did really well in domestic cricket and that's why they are here. I think youngsters and the newcomers are really talented and really hard working. The two debutants did really well too. It's a good learning experience for everyone," he said.

The second match of the 3-match series will be played on Tuesday, 17th June at the same venue.