Recipe Tips & tricks of the kitchen

tomarnidhi

Dear All,

TIPS26TRICKS-1.png

This is a thread to post small tips, handy tricks & other cheats to make food & cooking more awesome :)

I hope for a lot of participation from our amatuer & pro master cooks at UNP:ghug2

tomarnidhi

I'll start :an

Wat I did today :)

added a pinch of besan /Gram flour to my omelette

wat it does
1) holds ur omelette together(when there are lot of veggies it can break)

2) it makes ur egg so awesomely fluffy that it can put hotel waale ande to shame :y

try & let me know how it worked for u :ttw

tomarnidhi

always buy fresh meat - sign of which is the pinkness of it ... but if u think to meat will be a little tough then to tenderize it u can either use a tenderizer or grate raw papaya and mix in your marinade.. i do this when i make mutton biryani or rogan josh as both require really soft , melt in the mouth kinda meat.

tomarnidhi

How to make a pizza on gas? you all must hv that different , holes wala tava to make makke ki roti .. u can actually make a pizza on that... it can turn out to be sumthin like a wood fired pizza when the heating (gas ki flame) is kept even & stagnant

tomarnidhi

boiling Potatoes in microwave

take even sized potatoes & wash them thoroughly (mitti hatt jaye) then put then in a regular polythene carry bag (panni ) & tie a knot.. set the microwave for about 4 minutes .. check to see if done else repeat for another 2 minutes

if the potatoes are rather large then poke holes in it with a fork

Royal Singh

Prime VIP

take even sized potatoes & wash them thoroughly (mitti hatt jaye) then put then in a regular polythene carry bag (panni ) & tie a knot.. set the microwave for about 4 minutes .. check to see if done else repeat for another 2 minutes

Is that possible to provide technical details like 800 Watt - how much time it should be kept?

Tfs...

deep

Prime VIP

Nothing should be microwaved in plastic bags or bowls even if it says microwave safe as plastics when microwave release chemical and then same chemical enters into food. Consuming that for long can cause serious effects like cancer etc

tomarnidhi

Nothing should be microwaved in plastic bags or bowls even if it says microwave safe as plastics when microwave release chemical and then same chemical enters into food. Consuming that for long can cause serious effects like cancer etc

you are absolutely right, however we indians dont mind ingesting toxins .. case in point use & throw plastic bottles that we store & drink water from :fp

thanks for this , will try not to do this anymore :an

btw naas maarta mere thread da :hd

Reactions: DBF

DBF

Mad
lafafa in microwave are u kiddin me :p lafafa tan khasker bilkul patla wala jo mandi ch milda o tan odan v ni use kerna chaida onne tan sabzi de touch hundeya he toxins release kerdinda.. and tusi microwave ch paare o :p
and plastic bottles bhi toxic hoti khaasker jab they get heated and u drink that heat wala water like if you had left one in your car.. (womens ko to breast cancer ka khatra hai us se, i read some facebook post :p )

tomarnidhi

Homemade Ricotta Cheese
Yield: Makes 2 cups.

Tip
I always use whole milk yogurt, but if you do try it with low-fat yogurt, please let me know in the comments how it works out. I don't recommend non-fat yogurt for this recipe. This recipe can easily be halved or doubled.

INGREDIENTS
2 quarts whole milk
1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
Optional: 1/2 cup heavy cream
2 teaspoons white vinegar
1 teaspoon salt

METHOD

1 In a large pot, bring the milk, yogurt, heavy cream (if using), vinegar, and salt to a boil. Very gently boil for one to two minutes, until the milk is curdled.

2 Meanwhile, line a strainer with a few layers of cheesecloth and set it over a deep bowl.

3 Pour the milk mixture into the strainer and let drain for 15 minutes. Gather the cheesecloth around the curds and squeeze gently to extract any excess liquid.

Storage: Homemade ricotta is best served slightly warm, although it can be refrigerated for up to three days, if desired

tomarnidhi

making butterscotch at home .. wat u need 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, 1 cup of dark brown sugar, ¾ cup heavy whipping cream, 1 tablespoon vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon salt

melt butter in a heavy bottomed pan.. when its almost melted add the brown sugar.. use wooden spoon/spatula to stir... when the brown sugar is all melted (luks like molten gur/jaggery) uske baad add the cream .. replace wooden spatula with a whisk (metal) and whisk it into a fine paste... keep whisking at 4-5 mins interval .. 10 mins baad gas band kar do .. then thoda thanda karke add vanilla extract & salt.. u r all set

Butterscotch can be kept refrigerated for about a month

tomarnidhi

For people like me who dont like the taste of sprouts

take a few drops of oil in a pan ..add jeera and bhuno then add finely chopped onions and fry till translucent .. post which add ur sprouts & cook for few minutes , add salt & red chilli powder to taste & keep aside... when eating chop some cucumber & tomato into it & add some bhujiya or diet bhel for that crunch .. thats how i eat it :an

Reactions: DBF

tomarnidhi

another one for boiling eggs ...

make a small hole in the egg with an allpin or safety pin before boiling.. cover asaani se utar jaata hai

Royal Singh

Prime VIP
For people like me who dont like the taste of sprouts

take a few drops of oil in a pan ..add jeera and bhuno then add finely chopped onions and fry till translucent .. post which add ur sprouts & cook for few minutes , add salt & red chilli powder to taste & keep aside... when eating chop some cucumber & tomato into it & add some bhujiya or diet bhel for that crunch .. thats how i eat it :an

I love chilli button sprouts (awesome).