Some Mumbai attackers may have fled

deepak pace

DJ_DEE
Washington: Several attackers may have survived the three-day siege of Mumbai that killed 212 people last week, analysts said on Thursday.

"I think there are more. My sources say (there were) at least 23 of the gunmen," said Farhana Ali, a former CIA and Rand Corp counterterrorism analyst and expert on militant networks.

Ali, who most recently visited India and Pakistan last month before the attacks, said her information came from Pakistan, but declined to further identify the source. "If that's true, that makes one wonder why we haven't seen more attacks. Are they lying low?" she said "I think they (Indian authorities) are bracing themselves for more," she said.

Ali spoke at a briefing for US government counterterrorism and military officials, and others.

It was sponsored by the Counterterrorism Foundation, which supports research and publication on terrorism issues.

Indian authorities have said 10 gunmen took part in the Mumbai attacks last week. But reports early in the attacks cited police as estimating there were 25 gunmen. Authorities captured one, who was interrogated, and killed nine.

Indian and US officials blame the attacks on Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT), a Pakistan-based group that the United States in May designated a terrorist organization.

mystique21

That could be true because they were not suicide attackers they were Fidayeen.. and by definition, a fidayeen may try to escape after completing a mission succesfully.. the guy who was captured has also said their initial plan was to go back after carrying out the violence