Rock out in the Aston Martin Rapide

nvkhkhr

Prime VIP

Anyone who doesn't know that I test drove an Aston Martin Rapide last weekend probably doesn't have access to Facebook or any other social media. I have been talking about it non-stop.
Our weekend driving experience incorporated a lot of fair and reliable decision-making processes such as paper-scissors-stone, arm wrestling and eye spy. A straightforward win for me would turn into the best of three; any way that my husband could think of to win/cheat meant that my review would be more from the passenger point of view. Although I can tell you now, the time I did spend behind the wheel involved a lot of driving past glass buildings staring at my own reflection. I felt like a rock star.
It's not every four-month-old who can claim to have ridden in an Aston Martin, but the Rapide is every bit the family car. What other option is there for a luxury car-loving father with cash to splash who happens to adore his family? Ample leg- and headroom in front and back, a V12 engine whose roar I defy any infant to resist a good nap to. Gone are the days of car seat on washing machine rumbling the baby to sleep. Get an Aston Martin. A sure-fire guarantee that every time the baby so much as squawks, your husband will be keen to get him settled with a quick drive around the block.
Forgo your morning latte, your gym membership, your mortgage payments, in fact get rid of the house all together. Buy a Rapide, live in it, feel like a rock star! On second thoughts keep the latte to put in the cup holder that AM designers, knowing that you'll be short of cash after splurging on this Dh856,000 (basic model) car, made very, very small.

Does it man up?
Article continues below

It's not often that one stays at the Emirates Palace for a casual weekend away, but after the "leisurely" drive down from Dubai I almost shed a tear when the valet drove the Rapide away. In fact, spending the night in the car even crossed my mind. There are some things in life that just work and this masterpiece is one of them. Hand-built by a team of expert craftsmen, the leather and wood detailing is beautiful with amazing attention to detail everywhere you look. The push button start engages a beast of an engine that with a tap of the throttle leashes an almighty roar, instantly making you smile so hard it hurts. With the paddle shift gearbox and eye-watering acceleration, I had long since forgotten this was a family car with four doors and seats. Usually when car makers try to make a "family" four-door version of a classic sports car, the result is not so brilliant. But with the Rapide it still maintains those beautiful Aston lines and the proportions look just right. This is one heck of a family car that turns the heads of even Ferrari and Lamborghini drivers and when you pull up to the lights next to them, they should be scared!
Checklist
Price: From Dh856,000 for the basic model
Colour choice: custom-made
Interior: Full-grain leather interior with walnut facia trim
Safety: Airbags for front and back passengers
Parkability: Front and rear parking sensors
Central locking: Remote-control central door locking and boot release
ISOFIX: ISOFIX attachment points feature as standard and Aston Martin will be offering approved child seats specifically for the Rapide
Other features:
Boot mounted umbrella (very cool, but hardly necessary here)
Bang & Olufsen BeoSound audio system with integrated iPod connector
Ashtray and cigar lighter (in fact, may be the very small cup holder is the ashtray?)
Air conditioned front and rear seats
LED map lamps and ambient lighting