Rampaul turns into a crowd favourite

Lily

B.R
Staff member
2140008689.jpg

Chennai: Ravi Rampaul may have taken the wicket of India's Master Blaster Sachin Tendulkar yesterday, but this pacer suddenly became the crowd's favourite here yesterday.

They were rooting for him by calling his first name Ravi, which is a common name among Tamilians. In fact, it is years since the crowd had cheered the name Ravi.

It is close to two decades since Ravi Shastri, whom this crowd used to cheer, has hung up his boots.

Incidentally, Rampaul is the first quick bowler of Indian descent to represent West Indies in international cricket.

He returned with figures of 5 for 51 to bowl out India for 268 runs.

His wickets included India's top batsmen like Tendulkar, Gautam Gambhir, Virat Kohli and Yousuf Pathan.

At Chepauk yesterday, he generated excellent pace which made many proud.

At his best

Rampaul is only 26 years old and is likely to spearhead the West Indies pace attack for many years to come. In June 2009, during the second One-day match at Kingston, he had bagged 4 for 37 to bowl out India for 188.

Rampaul believes that if one is physically fit, one can bowl at his best; and he has been seriously working on his fitness.

"West Indies trainer Ronald Rogers helped me a lot on my physical fitness. Although I have a lot to more to do, I am improving every day," he said.

Rampaul is a product of West Indies youth cricket and came into prominence while playing for the Trinidad and Tobago Under-15 team. He improved as a pacer after fetching a scholarship from the Australian High Commissioner to Trinidad and Tobago to attend coaching sessions in Australia.

Majority of the players from Guyana and Trinidad in West Indies are of Indian origin.

In fact, once the Trinidad team had eight players of Indian origin such as Daren Ganga. Daren's brother Sherwin Ganga, Sunil Narine, Adrian Barath, Denesh Ramdin, Ravi Rampaul, Dave Mohammed and Samuel Badree.

[/img][/COLOR]