Meerut boy bells CAT, scores 99.99 percentile

Miss Alone

Prime VIP
City boy Prabhav Gupta is 20 years old but the world is already his oyster. Gupta has scored 99.99 percentile in the common admission test (CAT). The fourth-year engineering student is now preparing for his interview at Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad — his dream institute. In addition to Prabhav, another city boy, Harsh Mittal, scored 98.4 percentile.

Prabhav, a student at BITS Pilani in Rajasthan, said he did not have to burn the midnight oil to crack the exam. "With my engineering studies going on, I did not have the time to study too much for CAT. Most of my preparation consisted of observing previous years' papers and sitting for mock tests. I took coaching classes for a very short span of time, mostly over the weekends," he told TOI.

The 20-year-old is proud of his hometown and vouches for its schools, including the one he attended. "Meerut is my home and I am proud of it. Till class X, I studied at St. Mary's Academy and I completed my schooling from Dewan Public School. I can tell you that schools in Meerut are not less than any school anywhere. They have prepared me for life. When I came to Pilani and made friends with kids from big cities, I never felt the complex of being from a small town," he said.

Prabhav is very clear about giving back to his home country and does not wish to settle abroad. "It is very easy for IIM graduates to settle abroad. Any MNC would be glad to grab them. I don't wish to judge those who make the choice to settle outside the country, but I would prefer to stay in India. Firstly, it would be my way of giving back to the country. India Inc. is growing and I want to help it grow more. Secondly, staying here is also a matter of comfort," he said.

The B.Tech student couldn't be home and share the joy of his result with his family but said he was grateful to have friends around him. "I shared my happiness with my friends and celebrated the occasion with them."