Massive earthquake

Era

Prime VIP
Similar scenes were reported in cities including Islamabad, Lahore and Peshawar in neighboring Pakistan, where the government declared emergency in some areas. The country's army put all non-combat units on standby.

"I just felt it go up and down as if I was on a New York subway on a really rough ride," said NBC News producer Wajahat S. Khan, who was in a hotel in Lahore at the time of the quake. "Everything was moving up and down. My lunch on the table was literally just popping up and down."

Era

Prime VIP
Khan added: "The scenes downstairs were really, really chaotic. The panic continued and lasted for a good four or five minutes after the quake."

NBC News producer Mushtaq Yusufzai was eating with his family in Peshawar when the earthquake struck.

"There was no was way to go downstairs so we immediately climbed to the rooftop," he said. "It seemed the entire building was going to collapse. Women and children were crying and traffic was stopped on roads."

At least 55 people were injured in Peshawar, officials said. Some were listed in critical condition.

Era

Prime VIP
The country's Supreme Court in Islamabad was in a televised session and judges, lawyers and complainants were shown running out of the room.

The quake was also felt in Indian cities including Srinagar, which is located almost 300 miles away.