India, Bangladesh resolute on fighting terrorism: Krishna

Lily

B.R
Staff member
Dhaka July 7:

Asserting that India remains committed to a partnership in the development and prosperity of the people of Bangladesh, External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna has said that both the countries remain steadfast in their efforts to combat the scourge of terrorism.

“We are at a historic juncture. I am confident that through a forward-looking, progressive and pragmatic approach based on understanding and cooperation, we can achieve a mutually rewarding relationship that brings a brighter future, prosperity and development to the people of both countries,” said Krishna on his arrival at the Dhaka airport here.

“India remains committed to a partnership in the development and prosperity of the people of Bangladesh. Both the countries remain steadfast in their efforts to combat the scourge of terrorism. We are determined to continue to build upon the stronger bonds of cooperation and trust based on the strong foundations of shared history and culture,” he added.

Stating that India attaches the highest importance to its relations with Bangladesh, a close and friendly neighbour, Krishna said: “We are impressed with the tremendous growth and development in your beautiful country. We believe that a prosperous, stable and democratic Bangladesh is in the interest of both the countries and the entire region.”

“Our bilateral relations are passing though the best phase in recent times with a number of new and forward looking initiatives taken by the leadership of two countries following the visit of Her Excellency Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina to India in January 2010,” he added. Krishna, who is presently on a two-day visit to Bangladesh beginning today, said that he looks forward to a productive and focused interaction with the leadership here on bilateral relations between the two countries.

“We have made considerable progress in the implementation of the 2010 Joint Communiqué and projects under the 1 billion US dollars Line of Credit. I wish to discuss the scope for a broader cooperation framework, which will significantly improve the livelihood of our peoples,” he added. Krishna further said: “I am very pleased to be in Bangladesh at the invitation of my distinguished counterpart Her Excellency Dr. Dipu Moni. I am touched that she took the trouble of coming all the way to the airport to receive me. I bring with me greetings and best wishes of the people and Government of India for the friendly people and Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh.”

“During my visit, in addition to holding talks with my counterpart, I am looking forward to calling on His Excellency President Zillur Rahman and Her Excellency Prime Minster Sheikh Hasina. I would also have an opportunity to meet Finance Minister AMA Muhith and Leader of Opposition Begum Khaleda Zia. We will also be signing some bilateral documents. My programme also includes the inauguration of Kalabhaban,” he added. A delighted External Affairs Minister also informed that the Prime Minister of India, Dr. Manmohan Singh is looking forward to his visit to Bangladesh later this year.