I'm offered only negative roles: Urvashi Dholakia

I'm offered only negative roles: Urvashi Dholakia​

Actress Urvashi Dholakia, known for essaying negative characters on the small screen, says she won't mind playing the ideal woman provided she was offered such a role.
'Playing negative roles have not been my choice. I have been offered only these kind of roles...I took them up and audiences loved it. I am very happy doing such roles and consider myself lucky, but if offered a positive role why wouldn't I do it,' Urvashi told IANS.
Urvashi made her television debut with 'Waqt Ki Raftar' in 1987 and was later seen in 'Dekh Bhai Dekh', 'Zamana Badal Gaya', 'Ghar Ek Mandir'. But it was her role as vicious Komolika in 'Kasautii Zindagi Ki' that made her a household name. Her loud make up and jazzy saris helped in making her more popular.
'The image of vamps has changed drastically. When I started doing Komolika, it was over the top, very glamourised - it was in demand at that point of time and went down very well with the masses. But over the years the characters have become, I won't say subdued, but the looks have changed,' she added.
The actress returns on TV with yet another negative role of Malini Yadav in Zee TV's 'Apno Ke Liye Geeta Ka Dharmayudh'. The show stars Sargun Mehta of '12/24 Karol Bagh' fame as the protagonist.
So what does she have to say about the new trend of basing stories on real issues?
'I remember, as kids when we used to read our English textbooks - we would be taught a chapter and then there would be a moral of the story. These serials are almost the same, the only difference is that it is in visual form,' she said.
She agress such serials often lose track.
'It is true that such serials start often lose their track, but as actors we don't have a say in the creative department. Creative team decides how the story and the plot should move. As long as getting TRPs for the show is concerned, there's no problem,' she said.
Urvashi has also been participated in reality shows like 'Comedy Circus', 'Ustaadon Ke Ustaad' and 'Meethi Choori No. 1'.
The information and broadcasting ministry's recent cracked down on adult and abusive content on bold reality shows like 'Bigg Boss 4' and 'Rakhi Ka Insaaf' hasn't gone down well with the actress.
'Sleazy condoms ads should also be banned on TV because children eventually watch them. News channels show more violence, so they should also be stopped. It's wrong to say television is turning bold,' she said.
'Films are bold as well. So why is there a discrimination between films and television all the time? Why do people always say there is boldness on television? If there is boldness on television, where has it come from?' she asked.