Hands On: OnLive's Cloud-Based Game Console

DJMAC

$~____~$™
On Wednesday night, OnLive formally took its online, cloud-based gaming service into the living room, with the announcement of the OnLive Game System microconsole.
OnLive said the Game System, with one wireless game controller and a console the size of a small router, can be pre-ordered via the company's Web site for $99, with shipments beginning on Dec. 2. OnLive will also allow users to bundle any one game the service provides, for free.
In addition, OnLive said that the company plans to offer a monthly subscription service later this year, that will allow unlimited access to all of the games on the OnLive service, for one flat rate. However, OnLive hasn't said at what price the service will be offered.
OnLive turned its cloud-based gaming service on in June, and the service continues to exceed the expectations a doubting Internet placed upon it. Over 35 games are available on the service, including "Borderlands" (and all of its additional downloadable content) "Just Cause 2," F.E.A.R. 2," and recent entries such as "Mafia 2," "NBA 2K11," and 'Shaun White Skateboarding". (Disclosure: OnLive has made all of its games available to journalists for testing purposes, and all of them have remained accessible since the launch.)
View Slideshow See all (19) slides

01468i28080100-1.jpg

01468i28078700-1.jpg

01468i28079300-1.jpg

01468i28079200-1.jpg

More

OnLive said that the service's games roadmap includes "Driver: San Francisco," "Homefront," "Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood," "F.E.A.R. 3," "Red Faction: Armageddon", "Deus Ex: Human Revolution," "Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon 4: Future Soldier," and "Duke Nukem Forever" – whenever the latter game is released.
OnLive does charge retail prices, but the service offers frequent discounts and specials, and there's usually the option of a dramatically cheaper one- or three-day PlayPass for a holiday weekend. (OnLive recently sent out subscribers a few free PlayPass codes, which I distributed via my @markhachman Twitter account.) There are no monthly subscription fees.
I had a chance to take it for a spin. While my experience was quite positive, you should probably plan out what sort of games you plan to buy before jumping in, as well as whether you prefer a game controller or mouse and keyboard.
You'll also need to be aware that, unlike the Sony PlayStation 3 and Microsoft Xbox 360, the OnLive console does not include a built-in Wi-Fi antenna. Although OnLive OnLive added support for Wi-Fi in September, I'd shy away from the console without a wired connection of some type.
First impressions and setup
The microconsole itself is about the size of a small home router. On the rear, the small console has room for an Ethernet jack, HDMI, component, and optical audio outputs, and a power port – that's it.
OnLive has previously allowed Xbox controllers to be used with the service via a PC, so the included controller technically isn't the first to be used with the system. I only own a Sony PlayStation 3, however, so I can't directly compare the two. But the layout is relatively standard: two analog joysticks, four action buttons, four directional buttons, and a "start" and "select" button. On the rear of the controller, OnLive has added two triggers and a pair of shoulder buttons.
In the center of the controller is the OnLive pairing button; when starting up the system for the first time, users might need to connect the console and the controller via a USB cable to connect the two. Players can pair up to four controllers with a single console, and their respective numbers are indicated by small LEDs on the controller itself. (You can also use a mouse and keyboard with the console, although it might be a bit awkward in the living room.)
OnLive's controller distinguishes itself from others with two features.
First, I was pleasantly surprised by a battery compartment that either accepts a detachable rechargeable battery that OnLive includes, or just a pair of plain-jane vanilla AA batteries. There's no need to wait for the wireless controller to be charged up – jump right in!
Second, the front of the controller includes what looks like a standard media player assortment of buttons: rewind, fast forward, play/pause, record, and an "escape" navigational button. These are used for recording "brag clips," ten-second snippets of game play that can be saved to the system to show off that tomahawk dunk in "NBA 2K11," or perhaps a harrowing escape in "Just Cause 2".
I found the joysticks to be a bit stiffer, compared with my PlayStation 3 controller, but the larger form factor fit my hands a bit better as well. You'll find that the triggers have quite a bit of play in them, but otherwise the controller felt fine. I don't know if an Xbox 360 controller can be paired with the OnLive service.
Keep in mind that OnLive is a cloud-based gaming service: OnLive sends every click, twitch, and tap up over the Internet via an optimized path to three server farms in the East, West, and Midwest U.S, and every tiny pixel per frame down through the same connection. If you're concerned about whether or not you'll be able to play it with an acceptable delay or "lag," download the PC client. It's free to play and to sign up for, and each game comes with a free 30 minutes of play. You should have ample opportunity to discover whether your setup will work. "Your mileage may vary" has never been more appropriate.
It should be said, however, that a gaming PC or laptop will probably live in the office or bedroom, and not the living room. Since I put my cable router in my basement office, I had to unplug it and transfer it to the living room to try out the microconsole. That's a lot of bending, bumping, and untangling of cords to try and get your game on.
After connecting everything, signing on is simple: simply enter your username and password, and OnLive connects the console to its cloud. Games you purchased via the PC remain live, so that you can play them from your couch. There's also a few additional options to configure your network, but I found everything to be plug-and-play.
Once the console is hooked up, though, you should get a nice surprise: 1080p video. OnLive does stream 1080p to some PCs, based on the Internet connection, but it doesn't tell you; on the console, a dedicated video options screen will allow you to select 1080p or a lower resolution to minimize lag a bit.
Update 11/18: OnLive has told me before that 1080p support is in beta, and my comments before implied that 1080p would be "shipped" with the console purchase. Here's the official word, from OnLive:
"We can't comment yet on when we're enabling 1080p, but the MicroConsole is ready today to decode and display 1080p," a spokesman said in an email. "User will notice that we are scaling up 720p to 1080i and 1080p like the other consoles."
Gameplay
I fired up "Just Cause 2" on both OnLive as well as the Sony PlayStation 3; the demo version of the game allows you to play in a small region that's identical in layout and content to the full game, so I was able to make some direct comparisons.
Both games were virtually indistinguishable from a video perspective. I noticed slight differences in the textures used for the ground, but that may have been tied to the encoding for the PlayStation 3, rather than any differences in visual quality. In short, I had no complaints. I did notice, however, that the OnLive version seemed to be slightly misaligned with my HDTV screen.
I did notice a bit of lag, however, especially noticeable when simply panning around. However, I didn't experience any delay during button presses, and combat seemed equally responsive on both systems.
I will say, however, that I have an inherent bias toward old-school mouse-and-keyboard gaming. The developers of "Just Cause 2" and OnLive allow either a mouse and keyboard to be used, or a controller, with no additional configuration required.
On the other hand, several games virtually require a game controller, including the "Lego" games, including "Lego Harry Potter". While you might be able to play the game using a keyboard, I wouldn't recommend it. (I did have all sorts of trouble playing "MLB 2K" – I couldn't even figure out how to make the player swing. But I had no trouble playing the similar "NBA 2K11" game, so I'll chalk it up to obtuse game design.)
Since you'll have to fork out $99 for the controller, it's worth taking a minute or two to check out the OnLive game list and figure out if you want to play via controller or keyboard.
To me, $99 isn't trivial, and you'll need to decide whether the money justifies what is essentially the same experience you can get with a PC, but on your couch. OnLive also hasn't said how much it will charge for additional controllers. Furthermore, both Sony and Microsoft both offer additional perks for choosing their consoles, such as a Web browser (in the PS3's case) and additional services such as Netflix and/or Hulu.
Done right, I think that cloud-based gaming has a chance to revolutionize the gaming industry; Gaikai and OTOY also have had their eyes on this space, and Gaikai just launched in open beta. Is OnLive's new OnLive Gaming System microcontroller right for you? Fortunately, OnLive's PC service, and its generous demo policy, should offer ample opportunity to decide for yourself.
Update 11/18: OnLive also theoretically supports Bluetooth headsets for voice chat, but not yet. "BlueTooth (and Voice Chat) will be enabled with a firmware update next month," a spokesman said via email. "There will be a configuration menu on the Dashboard (press center button on the game controller) to configure voice chat. We're putting the final touches on it now."