Dhanbad boy secures ninth rank in UPSC exams

Miss Alone

Prime VIP
A 25-year-old man from Jharkhand’s Dhanbad district secured the ninth rank in the civil services examinations, the results of which were declared on Tuesday.
A graduate in mining engineering from IIT Kharagpur, Karan Satyarthi wants to work towards eliminating gender and caste discrimination in the country.
“It is a grave issue and I strongly believe that India can progress only with eradication of gender and caste discrimination,” he said.
Satyarthi cleared the Union Public Services Commission (UPSC) exam in his second attempt and said he did not take any coaching, studying at home on his own.
He advised other UPSC aspirants to not rely on coaching material. “The aspirants should read lots of books and not rely on coaching centres. I did not move out of Dhanbad and studied at home,” said Satyarthi.
He completed his engineering degree in 2014 and got a job offer from EXL Services—which he declined.
“I first wanted to gain practical experience of working in the administrative sector and then decide on the future course of action,” he said.
He completed his schooling from De Nobili School, Digwadih in Dhanbad. He attributed his success to his parents, grandparents and sister.
His father Praful Sharma works as an associate professor in the civil engineering department of BIT Sindri. His mother is a home maker and sister is a doctor.
Originally from Gaya in Bihar, Karan’s family has lived in Dhanbad since 2001.