Delhi odd-even: Six cars with fake number plates caught in four days

Miss Alone

Prime VIP
trialoftheoddevencarscheme_3b434184b42f1-1.jpg

At least six drivers of cars with fake number plates were prosecuted across the city in the last four days with the Delhi Police and the government promising to step up action in the coming days.
“At various points we have held drivers found resorting to illegal means to tweak the last digit on their number plates. Along with the violation of the odd-even restriction they will also be booked under sections of cheating and forgery. Strict action will follow,” said a senior Delhi Police official.
The cases have been reported from the Delhi-Gurgaon border, Rohini sector-15, Uttam Nagar and Mehrauli.
A traffic constable Suresh Kumar was stationed near Janakpuri flyover, to check violations on Tuesday when he spotted a Honda City which halted at the traffic signal.
“I looked at the plate and it was a fancy number plate, tattooed on the borders. To clear my doubt I signalled the driver to park his vehicle on the side of the road. The last digit of the registration number was three but we could clearly see the glue marks in the background as if number eight was removed from the plate. The driver was taken to the local police and the process of interrogation has started,” Kumar told HT.
A week before the odd-even rule was about to be implemented, HT had reported how a market of fake number plates and stickers has sprung in various parts of the city. Following the report, Delhi Police and teams from Delhi government had raided several motor markets in the city where such number plates were being sold.
“We have deployed our teams at the borders and are keeping a check on such cases of fake number plates. However, it is difficult to catch such violations on the road so we have decided to curb this from the root by controlling the trade of fake number plates,” a senior transport official said.
On Thursday last week, HT’s team had managed to get two number plates — one ending with an odd number and other with even — after paying just ` 200 in Karol Bagh. There were no questions asked.
At Shastri motor market, shopkeepers showed us a range of ‘jugaad’ which we could use during the odd-even rule to trick the police and the government.
Fake number plates, stickers to alter the last digit in keeping with the odd-even formula, ‘reversible’ plates and many more cheat options were on offer.

H

hemen parekh

Second Class Citizens ?

If you live in any city other than Delhi , you are a second class citizen !
At least , the Supreme Court of India seems to think so !
What else can explain its deep concern for the health of Delhi-ites , while choosing to overlook the fact that Diesel Vehicle Pollution is equally damaging the lungs of the lesser beings, living in dozens of other cities ?
Or does SC think that pollution related situation in these other cities has yet not reached a level of alarm ?
Or that time is not yet " ripe " for it to concern itself with future of the children of people living in these other cities ?
Is it possible that SC is waiting for some citizens of these lesser cities to file a PIL ?
May be SC thinks its "Judicial Activism" does not legitimately extend beyond the NCR ?
I fondly believe ( even now ) that for the Common Man of this country , SC is the only real " Maa - Baap " which steps in whenever the Government Officers / MLAs / MPs , fail to take timely decisions to protect the health of its Citizens , everywhere
I still very much believe that SC has , time and again , proved that it is the Court of Last Resort
I hope SC has read in papers ,the figures of AQI ( Air Quality Index ) in other cities
In any case , I hope that , on its own , SC will take SUO MOTO cognizance of this blog and treat it as a PIL to enlarge its recent orders to cover the rest of India !
A WORD OF CAUTION :
If Hon Judges of the Supreme Court were to read the rest of my blogs at ,
Home Page ,
they may take SUO MOTO cognizance of many and keep aside PILs from Prashant Bhushan / Subramanian Swami !
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hemen parekh
07 Jan 2015
hemenparekh.in / blogs