Cops Dismissed After Rape Victim's Suicide


Staff member

Chandigarh June 11:
After dragging its feet for two months in a rape case involving two cops, Haryana police dismissed the accused who have been absconding since the shocking incident on Monday when the victim committed suicide at police headquarters alleging inaction and intimidation to take back her complaint.
Addressing a press conference, Haryana's director general of police Ranjeev Dalal informed that head constable Balraj Singh and Constable Silak Ram, posted in Rohtak, had been dismissed from service under Section 311(2) of the Indian Constitution. However the police added, "The two accused who were sent to Rajasthan to arrest bail jumpers have gone underground and are untraceable."
Sadly, the victim who had visited the police headquarters twice, reportedly failed to get an audience with Dalal who holds janata darbars to redress grievances of people every week. After an outcry, a red-faced DGP said the accused policemen were a blot on the force and everyone was ashamed of their act.
"Four police teams have been constituted to arrest the accused. A thorough investigation of the case will be done and all allegations levelled by the victim examined. The probe will also find out what happened at police headquarters in Panchkula, why the investigation was delayed in Rohtak and identify the black sheep in the force so that they can be removed from public dealing," said Dalal, adding that additional director general of police (crime) Sharad Kumar was appointed to bring transparency in the investigations.
Meanwhile, a report from Rohtak said that the then in-charge of crime investigation agency Ram Kumar was also placed under suspension amidst allegations that he along with the two accused cops had demanded a bribe from Sarita to release her husband who was in Rohtak jail in connection with a motorcycle-theft case.
Sarita's endurance must have given way on Monday when she committed suicide failing to get the cops behind bars. In her complaint to ADGP, Haryana, she reportedly revealed about being driven to the wall by the accused who not only threatened her with dire consequences if she didn't keep shut about her rape on April 10, but also called her several times to their office to further satisfy their lust.
Reportedly fed up with continual intimidation by the accused, Sarita met the SP, IG and ADGP, besides filing an application in the open darbar of the DGP. But her tormenters — apparently emboldened by the fact that despite a police inquiry prima facie finding them guilty they remained in office — carried on threatening her to withdraw the charges against them.
As per the FIR lodged in a Rohtak police station, Sarita's husband, Subhash, was in the lock-up in a motorcycle-theft case when Balraj and Shilak Ram violated her. When Subhash got bail on April 24, the couple decided to lodge their complaint.