Cate Blanchett: bookie’s favourite, devoted mum

Lily

B.R
Staff member
Cate Blanchett’s latest role as a socialite who can’t keep tabs on her philandering husband in the film Blue Jasmine has made her the bookies’ favourite to win the Best Actress Oscar next month.

But the Hollywood star knows exactly what her real-life husband is up to because they share the same email address and she even reads his messages.

Blanchett, 44, says she does trust her husband, the playwright Andrew Upton, but checks his correspondence because “he hates emails”.

The mum of three, who until last year ran the Sydney Theatre Company with Upton, said: “We work together and it’s a way of synchronising our lives. I can see what he’s up to — it’s not that I don’t trust him.”

The star, who already has an Oscar for her role in the 2004 Howard Hughes biopic The Aviator, says she still manages to be a hands-on mum to her three sons despite the pressures of Hollywood.

She likened family life at her luxury home in Sydney to “a well-oiled machine”.

She said: “I’ve got a whole system going. I know what has to be done by the end of the evening, and what has to be done by the end of the morning. Three lunch boxes, three school bags, three sets of school uniform. Maybe I’m old-fashioned, but I have to write everything down.”

Blanchett is one of Hollywood’s most in-demand stars but insists she has never been away from Dashiell, 12, Roman, nine, and Ignatius, five, for more than six days.

She said: “When we did Blue Jasmine in San Francisco, they came with me. I’m about to do a Cinderella film for Disney, and that’s over the holidays, so they’ll come too.”

Blanchett, whose big-screen credits include The Lord Of The Rings and Hobbit movies, Elizabeth and Notes On A Scandal, hopes she hasn’t peaked yet despite critics calling her star turn in Woody Allen’s Blue Jasmine a career highlight. She added: “My peaks are not necessarily the media’s peaks.”

The star, who was interviewed for the website Cool Hunt, says there are times when she hates acting. But she said: “It’s a vocation, something I feel compelled to do. The work is not simple, but I do love it.”