Cannavaro eyes coaching licence within the year

Lily

B.R
Staff member
1043723347.jpg
Dubai: Al Ahli adviser Fabio Cannavaro is planning to take his coaching badges soon in order to become a football manager but he doesn't yet know if this new career path will keep him in the UAE.

When asked by Gulf News if he wanted to go into coaching, the former Napoli, Parma, Inter, Juventus and Real Madrid star said: "Yes, but not yet, maybe in the future. I have a good job at the moment with Al Ahli and I am very happy to be in Dubai."

The 2006 Italian World Cup winner and Fifa World Player of the Year told Gulf News: "First I have to take the licence because I haven't got it yet. I hope to get that within the next year or two. Inshallah I'd be a good coach."

He told Al Jazeera recently: "I intend to get my coaching licence soon because I feel it's something I could use to help younger players have success in their careers."

This latest revelation follows an interview with TalkSport Radio where Cannavaro said recently, when asked if he wanted to coach in England: "I hope so because England is a great country for football."

Cannavaro told TalkSport he'd model himself on the current England manager, Fabio Capello.

"I think Capello is the best coach in the world. He was with me in Italy and Spain. I hope he will win the European Championship," he said.

Now aged 38, Cannavaro should have a lot of collective expertise to pass on having also been coached by the likes of Lippi, Ranieri and Ancelotti, in a career lasting 19 years.

Winning streak

Asked where he would want to start management, the proud Neopolitan, who had a spell of four league-winning seasons on the trot with Juventus and Real Madrid [2005-2008] smiled and said: "I don't know really."

Snubbed by his hometown Napoli in 2010, where his brother Paolo still captains, Cannavaro couldn't end his career where it started in 1992 as intended, so he instead signed for Al Ahli. Now coaching Naples could be the next best thing.

Last week he told Radio Deejay: "The biggest regret I have is not being for Napoli what [Paolo] Maldini and [Francesco] Totti were for AC Milan and Roma respectively — Naples is my life, it's my city. That's where my career started and Naples is everything to me. Yes, I have regrets."
[/img][/COLOR]