Canada to blame for Kanishka

TORONTO: The final report into the 1985 Air India Kanishka bombing, on Thursday recommended ex gratia payment to the families of 329 victims, mostly of Indian origin as it blamed the Canadian government for its failure to prevent the the country’s worst terrorist attack.

“A cascading series of errors contributed to our police and security forces” failing to stop the bombing, Justice John Major, the head of the Kanishka bombing inquiry commission recommended today, nearly 25 years after the tragedy.

Canadian authorities should have known that Air India Flight 182 was a terrorism target, Major said, adding the failure of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) and Canada’s spy agency Canadian Security and Intelligence Services (CSIS) to prevent the tragedy was “inexcusable.”

“The government needs to take responsibility to avoid further failure and to prevent a return to a culture of complacency,” said Major in his 3,200 pages report.

It called for an independent body to be created to recommend an appropriate ex gratia payment
and to oversee its distribution, though it offered little relief to the families of those who were killed in the tragedy. “This was the largest mass-murder in Canadian history,” said Major, adding the “finest tribute” that could be paid the victims of the bombing is to create a rigorous aviation security system.
Air India Flight 182 on June 23, 1985, which was travelling from Canada to India, crashed into the Atlantic killing all 329 people on board. The report blamed the Canadian government for its failure to prevent the tragedy and recommended the appointment of a powerful security czar to resolve disputes between conflicting interests among security agencies.


Prime VIP

Nov 8, 1985: Talwinder Singh Parmar and Inderjit Singh Reyat held by Canadian police in connection with bombings. Charges dropped against Parmar. Reyat is fined for a minor, unrelated charge.

Jan 22, 1986: Aviation Safety Board concludes a bomb brought down the jet.

Feb 1988: Reyat is arrested by police in Coventry, England, where he moved with his wife and children in 1986.

Oct 27, 2000: Ajaib Singh Bagri and Ripudaman Singh Malik arrested and charged with first-degree murder, attempted murder and conspiracy.

Mar 16, 2005: British Columbia SC Justice Ian Josephson acquits Malik and Bagri, saying he found the main witnesses in the case not credible.

Although charges were dropped against Parmar by RCMP but Punjab Police murdered him in a staged encounter..............