8 cops hit me with belts at one go: Discharged accused recalls ordeal

Miss Alone

Prime VIP
Shiv Narayan Kalsangra, one of those discharged in the Malegaon blast case, recalled his ordeal in custody on Friday, saying that more than eight ATS cops would assault him with belts together. He said he would be given medicines before being produced in court. He said, “I was picked up from my home by the ATS police on October 15, 2008. I was only arrested on October 21. Till then, they detained me illegally, without even informing my family about my whereabouts.”

Kalsangra claimed that before he was picked up by the ATS, he wasn’t even aware there was a place called Malegaon. “Till the time ATS told me about Malegaon I never heard of that place. The police would keep asking me the whereabouts of my brother (Ram Chandra Kalsangra),” said Kalsangra. He said he was arrested simply because he didn’t know where his brother was. “The cops would assault me for not knowing his location. They said that I would be arrested if I didn’t reveal his address, and I ended up behind bars for 34 months,” added Kalsangra, who works as an electrician in Indore, where he lives with his wife, a daughter and a son. Kalsangra’s father took care of his family during his time in jail.

“I am so relieved that NIA was handed the probe and they knew I was not involved,” said Kalsangra. NIA’s reason for discharging him was that although his brother had given him two electronic timers, he had taken the ATS to Indore and helped them recover the timer used in the Malegaon blasts, a .315 rifle and ammunition. Timers are not controlled items, and apart from them, there is no other evidence on record to prove his association with the case or any others accused in it.