Staff member

Srinagar September 9:
At least 60 people were injured in fierce clashes between protesters and security forces across the Kashmir Valley during a strike called by separatists against holding of Assembly elections in Jammu and Kashmir.
Police and paramilitary forces used batons and fired in air to quell the stone pelting protesters who fought pitched battles with the personnel at nearly two dozen places in the valley including Baramulla old town, Maisuma, Nowhatta, Safa Kadal, Nawab Bazar, Rajouri Kadal, Naid Kadal, Nawa Kadal and Seki Dafar, official sources said.
At least 60 people, including security personnel, were injured in the clashes, they said, adding three injured were admitted to SMHS and Bone and Joint Hospital in Srinagar with bullet injuries. At least 26 persons including six security personnel were injured as protesters pelted stones on police at Old town in Baramulla district. Police fired several rounds in air after a baton charge and tear gas shells failed to deter the protesters.
A youth identified as Mudasir Ahmad Gojri was injured in the firing, the sources said. They said Gojri, who was hit by the bullet in the face, was referred to SMHS hospital here and his condition was stated to be stable. Protesters also clashed with police and CRPF in Nowhatta area of the city, where a youth was killed by a rubber bullet on Saturday. At least 18 persons including eight police personnel were injured in the violence.
The clashes erupted as a bandh called by separatists in protest against Election Commission's meetings with mainstream parties to decide on J-K Assembly poll schedule crippled life in the Valley with shops, business establishments remaining shut. Attendance in government offices was thin, work in banks and courts were also affected and vehicles remained off the roads. More than a dozen persons were injured in clashed at Naid Kadal, Rajouri Kadal and other areas of down town city.
A group of protesters attacked the vehicle of S Jalal, former Director SKIMS hospital at Sekidafar. Two civilians were injured when Jalal's personal security officer opened fire, the sources said. The Coordination Committee of separatists had yesterday announced a month-long programme including two general strikes and a call for march to Lal Chowk to press for right to self-determination.
Peaceful protests were held in Bandipora, Kulgam and Shopian district headquarters. No untoward incidents were reported from these three districts during the protests.