SPANISH POLICE APOLOGISES

Lily

B.R
Staff member
SPANISH POLICE APOLOGISES

Patiala July 14:
A London-based Punjabi NRI Jaswant Singh Judge has fought a long battle against the Spanish police, the Guardia Civil for removing his turban in full public view for a security check. The Spanish police has finally apologised to him and issued instructions that religious sentiments of Sikhs should be respected during security check at airports.
Judge, who was in Patiala said, “I am satisfied that the prestige and honour of the turban has been restored for which I fought a long battle”. He said Lee Scott, member Parliament from Ilford (North), London, took up his case with the Spanish Embassy and the interior ministry of Spain.
Giving details, Judge said the incident had occurred on March 12 this year when he and his wife were returning to England after a week-long vacation in Tenerife (Spain) on an Ilberia flight. He said, “We were placing our hand luggage on scanner belt when we were approached by a security guard who asked me to remove my turban. I explained to him that I am a Sikh and my turban is an integral part of my faith and I am not supposed to take it off. But he called his senior who also insisted on me removing my turban”, he stated.
Judge said when all attempts failed and the flight was about to leave, he was left with no alternative other than to remove his turban in full public view. He said security officials had turned down his request to remove it inside the security room. “It was very humiliating and it was then that I decided to fight against the violation of my human rights,” he said. Judge said, “Had I known that I would have to go through such humiliation, I would never have travelled to Tenerife for my holidays”.
The Chief of Guardia Civil, after an inquiry into the incident, wrote to Judge, “With reference to your complaint of March 23, 2008, we inform you that a letter of explanation and apology has been attached. Under the Spanish constitution, freedom of ideology, religion and cult of individuals and communities is guaranteed without any limitation in their demonstrations other than that which is necessary for the maintenance of public order protected by law.”
The letter further said, “However, in this attached document it is also pointed out that for security reasons, tight measures are sometimes imposed on passengers at the frontiers, namely removal of shoes, belts and the like. Regarding your particular case, you are informed, that precise instructions have been given at airports in this province so that in future similar situations with Sikhs, particular religious features be taken into consideration. Formal apologies are also stated”. Judge thanked the British MP Lee Scott for taking up his complaint with the Spain government.