RDB did great things and now it’s time to move on – Manj

[JUGRAJ SINGH]

Prime VIP
Staff member

Manjeet Ral, more popularly known as Manj, was the backbone and lead vocalist of former UK Band, Rhythm Dhol Bass (RDB). Uber Punjabi got a chance to get an exclusive interview with Manj and get the details on the RDB split, his successful career in music, and what we can expect to see from his new brand, MANJmusik.

Full Name: Manjeet Ral

Birthday: August 19

Hometown: Bradford, UK

Motto: Don’t ever give up…Try Everything.

How did you get into the music industry? Most of it was influence from family. A lot of family members either sang or were in bands. However, the biggest influence came from my late brother, Kuly. He taught me to be creative not only in music, but being creative overall with everything in general; like even with making paper planes. One of the biggest things I learned from him was to keep a wide and open mind.

When did you have your first break? Not many people know, but my first official break was when I made a track, Tappe, for Sahara. Sahara was a friend of mine and had heard me DJ live. I used to do live remixing and he really liked my style so approached me to produce for him. This was before RDB was even formed. After that, my first break as a singer came with Aja Mahi which was released as RDB.

The RDB split came as a shock to everyone – now that there is no more RDB, how do you feel? RDB was not about three brothers. It was about music. Kuly and I were the brain behind RDB and created waves with the music we made together. With him passing, my backbone is gone and I choose not to carry on the name of RDB. I feel great about what RDB has done and want to let it rest in peace with respect to Kuly. It gives me a sense of closure. Without me and Kuly in the studio, there is no RDB.Manj-and-Kuly Uber Punjabi

What is your fondest memory of Kuly? Making people laugh with his funky expressions and extravagant explanation of things. He was not scared of telling someone off when they were wrong or saying what’s on his mind. That guy just made everyone laugh.

We read somewhere that you left RDB because of your brother Surj – is that true? No. I never left RDB because of one person. As I mentioned earlier, Kuly and I were the brains behind RDB. All the music was made by us and I pretty much sang all the songs (Singh is King, Aja Mahi, Shera Di Kaum, Aloo Chaat, Kambakth Ishq, We Doin’ It Big, and many more). It would be wrong for me to say I am carrying on the name, when it was really Kuly and I sitting in the studio together that made RDB. He is gone and he took the name with him.

There’s a saying – it takes two hands to clap. Kuly and I were the two hands that clapped. Surj and I don’t clap. Surj does not sing, he does not make music, and he is not creative at all. Because of that lack on the musical and creative side, Kuly and I backed him when he decided to build Three Records. What is Three Records and how has it benefited the artists that are signed to it? Well, that’s a question for another day. I always want to see Surj succeed, but not by carrying on the RDB legacy and releasing music “in loving memory of Kuly”. I don’t agree with it at all. I would feel guilty using the RDB name for any future releases without Kuly around. RDB did great things and now it’s time to move on. Surj can do anything he wants to, but not as RDB. I wish him luck and hope he comes to the realization that it’s time to let go – out of respect for our late brother, Kuly.

Now that you have your new brand MANJmusik, what is the hardest part about starting over? I am not necessarily starting over. I have built a lot of credibility within the industry through my work and of course, through RDB. The name has changed, but the talent is same. The biggest names in Bollywood and the music industry see that and back my decision. That is why I continue to get more and more work today.

You have worked with many singers on an international platform such as Snoop Dog, Ludacris, and T-Pain – what can we expect next? I am currently in talks with LMFAO, 50 Cent, Eminem, and a few more, you will just have to wait and see. That’s about as much as I can say right now.

What is biggest difference in working with international stars? It’s really cool, but there is a lot of red tape. There’s no ghar di gal in anything! Everything is official, you have to get the contracts right, and there is no room for mistakes.

A lot of music artists are leaning towards an acting career in Punjabi movies – will we see you in one soon? I get loads of requests, but I really haven’t thought about making a career in acting. At this point, I just want to focus on my music and building the MANJmusik brand. Who knows maybe I will throw in a couple of cameos here and there!

Have you ever done music for a Punjabi movie? Yes, I did two songs for Sharry Mann’s film, Ishq Garaari. I am also currently working on Gippy Grewal’s new movie, and a few other projects of which details will be officially released at a later time.

Will you continue producing music for other singers’ albums? Yes and No. I haven’t given it much thought yet. However, if Diljit Dosanjh asks me to produce a track for him, I would do it because he is one of my favorites and my son, Anoop, loves him!

You have worked in Bollywood and churned out mega hits like Tamanche Pe Disco, Kamabakth Ishq, and Singh is King – will you be doing more Bollywood music or potentially getting into acting? Musically, yes. Bollywood has given me so much love and there is always work. Nindy and I are finishing up the title track for Heropanti to be released later next month. The film will star Jackie Shroff’s son, Tiger. No acting yet. I would need to improve on my Hindi first!

Are the Fast and Furious 7 rumors true? It’s all up in the air right now. With Paul Walker passing, there’s no confirmation if the storyline will remain the same.

Who or what inspires your work? My work is inspired by my travel around the world, the music I listen to, and life experiences. I’m a big fan of metal, rock, hip-hop, trance, house…pretty much all different genres and artists across the world. Those elements inspire me and continuously allow me to be creative in my work.

Manj-and-NindyYour wife, Nindy Kaur, is also a famous singer – how is it having another celebrity in the house? She is the same as she was ten years ago and has been my backbone since day one. When we are together it just seems normal and we behave like a normal family. Whether in the studio, traveling and performing, or being a mother to my son, she has been there in every which way. At home, she is my wife and Anoop’s mom first and Nindy Kaur, the celebrity, second.

I remember when we found out Kuly was sick, we quickly left everything and our home behind in Toronto and moved to the UK. While I continued to travel alone with Kuly for his treatment in USA, Nindy took care of everything else in UK. We’ve both sacrificed a lot for our family and she has always stood by me no matter what. I respect her for that.

Anoop had his first hit with Bling Bling, Mr. Singh which caters to the youth and has over 1 million views on YouTube – will we see more from him? Yes, for sure! Anoop is a character and always wants to try new things. Bling Bling Mr. Singh started out as a school project and turned into being a full blown track and video. The response has been overwhelming, but right now he is concentrating on his studies.

In today’s society where it’s sometimes hard to be a turban wearing Sikh, you have been an inspiration to many and proven that sardars do indeed have swag – have you considered starting your own clothing line? Yes, I have just started one and it’s in its very early stages. It is called SOS (Swagged Out Sardars). I have some designs being put together in India and North America and hope to start distributing soon.

Where do you see yourself ten years from now? I am definitely going to be doing music. I may cut back on the live shows, but I can’t imagine life without creating music.

Which Punjabi singer would you like to collaborate with? Diljit and Gippy together with me on one track!

Which Bollywood actor would you like to playback for? Salman Khan

What’s something that no one knows about you? I can’t cook…at all. Sorry, Nindy!

What is your all-time favorite performance? Back in the day we did a performance in Lahore, Pakistan. It was awesome.

Out of all the songs you sang, what is your favorite song? Aaja Mahi

What is your most embarrassing moment on set? I was filming for the Kambakth Ishq track and blanked out on the dance moves. I just totally forgot everything; it was quite embarrassing.

You have traveled the world, what is your favorite city? Toronto, it’s where home is.

Where would you like to perform that you haven’t been? The Moon…I think I have been everywhere else!

Any plans for a world tour? Nothing has been finalized yet. I am waiting for projects and Bollywood tracks to drop. After that, we may do one.

What makes you a proud Punjabi? As my son says, “It’s cool to be a sardar”.