Rajiv Gandhi Awards - Salman, Kareena Sa

Jatt2dzire

Rajiv Gandhi Awards - Salman, Kareena Saif

Hazare, Darsheel Safary, Malkit Singh get Rajiv Gandhi Award

Noted social worker Anna Hazare, child actor Darsheel Safary and international Bhangra artist Malkit Singh, were among those who received the annual Rajiv Gandhi Awards here at a glittering ceremony.

Hazare, who received the award for social work, said, "Rajiv Gandhi was the first politician in this country who brought in constitutional amendment for decetralisation of power."

"He led a spotless life. He would be an inspiration for the youth," Hazare added. Hazare received the award from senior Congress leader Digvijay Singh. Chief Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh was also present.

Child actor Darsheel Safary said while receiving the award that every award he gets motivates him to do better. "I will do better in my coming films," he said. Before, in a two-minute interview with his onscreen mother Tisca Chopra, Darsheel said that the "sad moment" for him in the film `Tare Zamin Par' was the picturisation of the song `Bam Bam Bhole'.

"Because I could not dance in this song alongwith other kids," Darsheel, who essays the role of an autistic child in the film, said.

The other recipients of the award were industrialist Baba Kalyani, promoter of VLCC Vandana Luthra, WWE wrestler Dalip Singh Rana, marketing guru Mehul Choksi, Bollywood stars-Saif Ali Khan and Lara Dutta, journalist Vir Sanghvi, football player Baichung Bhutia, founder of Indiabulls Sameer Gehlaut and educationist Sunny Varkey.

The awards were constituted by Charan Singh Sapra in the memory of late prime minister of India Rajiv Gandhi in 1995.