Press Blackout in Punjab during 1984

As everyone knows there was a total blackout of press imposed in Punjab during the 1984 to mask the Indian Authorities operations in the region.

All the independent journalists were rounded up and abandoned outside Punjab and those who tried coming to Punjab were threatened to be shot.

If the Government had nothing to hide then why did it do this?

How do the nationalists defend this??

because of the press blackout....we still dont have

1. an official body count confirmed by independent sources
2. official and certified version of the events.

Dhillon

Dhillon Sa'aB™
Staff member
Shehbeg Singh had planned the whole operation in hope that Sikhs all around will come to the rescue of Shri Harimandir Sahib. Army will have to back off and then they will declare their victory and independence of Khalistan.
blackout was absolutely necessary to avoid any backlash.

In other threads you say that there was no support for Bhindranwaley and Shahbeg Singh....if there was no support for the movement why would sikhs from all around the world come to their aid????

Dhillon

Dhillon Sa'aB™
Staff member
^ People would have come for Harimandir Sahib, That's why Bhindrawala and co. had picked the most sacred shrine to Sikhs.
The plan was brilliant and the only way they would have gotten what they want.
It almost worked as people did started to gather around Amristsar. If only they could have hold the army for a day longer, who know what would have happened.

So you are saying that the Press Blackout was imposed because there would have been a backlash???

Ok....so why was Brahma Chellaney the only independent reporter in Punjab at that time threatened by the army and the Government until much later after the events ( a year later) when he released the real information regarding casualty numbers and those who were shot behind their back????

https://www.unp.me/f15/brahma-chellaney-only-independent-reporter-of-1984-bluestar-77667/

They certainly weren't expecting backlash after everything was done right???

Maybe the army did not want the truth to get out about the gross human violations that went on in Punjab during the events?

i.e people being gathered from Golden temple and shot while their hands were tied to their backs???

There is a reason why amnesty international and several other independent organization dont agree with the armies version of the events.

Dhillon

Dhillon Sa'aB™
Staff member
All that wouldn't have happened if bhindrawala hadn't started the ak47 movement.
About 50,000 people died because of him for no good reason.

userid50966

Shehbeg Singh had planned the whole operation in hope that Sikhs all around will come to the rescue of Shri Harimandir Sahib. Army will have to back off and then they will declare their victory and independence of Khalistan.
blackout was absolutely necessary to avoid any backlash.

I dont know from where u got this but truth is stranger than fiction.
The people who are inolved in this are congress party , akali dal leaders are too involved in this namely Harchand Singh Longowal and Parkash singh badal, I had seen the letter written by parkash singh badal to mr dhawan of congress party in which it is written that Jarnail Singh nahi manh reha , apan fer hun osea trahn hi krangea jiddan plan kitta geyea cc baki galh thuhanu longowalh sahib v dasdengea,

The thinking of Indan govt at that time is that they will surround golden temple with heavy army troops and due to fear jarnail singh will come out by putting his hands up and then whole other leaders that were present there will come after him and whole blame will put on jarnail singh that put his knees down in front of got he got scared and that is going to be there ram ban but it doen't go as they were planned , that is why many of you heard many times from army officers of that time that they wouldn't expecting the answer gien to them by shaeedh sikhs at that time

userid50966

All that wouldn't have happened if bhindrawala hadn't started the ak47 movement.
Dhillon bai ik swal da jwab deo bahut hi simple hai thodha jhea hatkea hai topic ton but it got linked with this one the question is
What are ur views regarding Baba Deep Singh JI?

Dhillon

Dhillon Sa'aB™
Staff member
If we are going to compare Baba Deep Singh Ji with Bhindrawala then I have nothing more to say in this thread.

userid50966

If we are going to compare Baba Deep Singh Ji with Bhindrawala then I have nothing more to say in this thread.
I'm not at all going to compare Baba Deep Singh Ji With Sant Bhindranwale
that is my promise , pls dont go of this thread. I just asked simple view from you About Mhan Sikh Shaheedh Baba Deep Singh JI ? One line from u will be enough for me

Maybe if the Government had dealt with Nirankaris when the whole furore erupted then everything could have been avoided???

sensible logic?

information for dhillon. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khalistan_movement#cite_note-11

On January 26, 1986, the gathering passed a resolution (gurmattā) favouring the creation of Khalistan. Khalistan was envisaged by its proponents as a Sikh-majority state, which opponents argued would become a theocracy.
saint ji never demand khalistan, but he always say if government offer us, we will not do the same mistake which our Sikh leader did during 1947.

Dhillon

Dhillon Sa'aB™
Staff member
@rollingpunjab If you don't like any opinions here feel free to ignore them, but keep your tone in check.

information for dhillon.

On January 26, 1986, the gathering passed a resolution (gurmattā) favouring the creation of Khalistan. Khalistan was envisaged by its proponents as a Sikh-majority state, which opponents argued would become a theocracy.
saint ji never demand khalistan, but he always say if government offer us, we will not do the same mistake which our Sikh leader did during 1947.

let me guess, Khalistan supporters gathered and passed a resolution in favour of Khalistan. No surprise there.

Kasmir chose to stay independent in 1947 we all know how it worked for them

pps309

Prime VIP
^ People would have come for Harimandir Sahib, That's why Bhindrawala and co. had picked the most sacred shrine to Sikhs.
The plan was brilliant and the only way they would have gotten what they want.
It almost worked as people did started to gather around Amristsar. If only they could have hold the army for a day longer, who know what would have happened.
If backlash by Punjabi ppl was huge possibility, this means people at that time supported the cause faught by Bhindranwale.......buck ends here.

m sorry for the tone...but the way you pass judments based upon null arguements and sans evidences...with the back up of the information as provided in congress white paper...makes me angry...rather I should be telling you to keep your mouth shut if you do not have intense research behind the topic...without research...it ll be regarded as puking, nothing else...!

Regarding kashmir, i cant say...but regarding khalistan...it is not the way you think...!

I have deleted three posts from user rollingpunjab, bcoz of abusive language

well dear...sorry for my tone...but the posts should have been there...because some people require such treatment...and keep on passing comments without research...my posts were aimed at those alone...!