Poll put off, but no let-up in campaigning

Jaswinder Singh Baidwan

Akhran da mureed
Staff member
A Haryana Government’s decision to scrap panchayat elections till the matter is settled in the Supreme Court has no bearing on campaigning.
Many aspirants are visiting houses of voters, while others have taken to the social media to stay in touch with city residents.
“The delay in elections will increase the election expenditure, as we cannot sit at our homes and say to our supporters that they should wait for final order of the Supreme Court. This may annoy voters,” said Amit Nidani, an aspiring candidate from ward number 16 of the zila parishad.
When The Tribune met Nidani in Ramrai village, he was busy meeting village elders. “Once the campaigning starts, it is concluded after elections. If any candidate stops it midway, it means he lacks the guts to go the distance,” said Rulda Ram of Ramrai.
Residents of other villages said the delay in elections would keep the atmosphere “colourful” in villages, as it was an open secret no candidate could refuse “anything” to voters.
Chautala family continues to canvass support
Sirsa/Fatehabad: Notwithstanding the postponement of panchayat elections, Leader of Opposition Abhay Chautala’s wife Kanta Chautala and son Karan Singh Chautala, who filed their nominations from zone 4 and 12 of the zila parishad, respectively, plan to continue their personal interaction with the electorate.
When The Tribune caught up with Karan today, he was about to leave for his family’s farmhouse at Tejakhera near Dabwali.
“I have not started campaigning since my zone was scheduled to go to polls in the last phase on October 18. We had yesterday planned to visit Risaliya Khera and Godekan villages. In spite of postponement of elections, my mother visited the villages with my cousin Digvijay Chautala and younger brother Arjun Chautala,” Karan said.
He claimed it had been a practice in his family to visit the people during events of happiness and sorrow.