Patients suffer due to doctors' strike

HoneY

MaaPeya Da LaaDLa
Patients continue to suffer as the strike in Mumbai's medical colleges enters its third day. Doctors are protesting against the government's decision not to fill up 242 seats for courses that have not been recognised by the Medical Council of India.

Sandhya, a housemaid from Kalyan, brought her 10-year-old daughter to Sion hospital to get treated for burn injuries but instead the on-going doctors' strike gave them heartburn. They were asked to go home and return only after the strike was called off.

''I went to ward 25, but there was no one there. A worker told me that the doctors were on strike and that I should come back later,'' said Sandhya Dolas, Housemaid.

The doctors are not ready to give up until their demands are fulfilled.

''If our demands are not met in the next two days we will go on hunger strike. Politicians like Sharad Pawar have their own universities, but Maharashtra government cannot get medical seats recognised, it's unbelievable,'' said Dr Ravikant, Joint Secretary, Central Maharashtra Association of Resident Doctors.

The medical education secretary has said that a solution was possible within the next three to four days after discussions with the Union Health Minister but there are still no immediate answers for patients suffering due to the strike.