Long queues of patients lead to chaos at SMGS Hospital

Jaswinder Singh Baidwan

Akhran da mureed
Staff member
Despite tall claims by the state Health Department of providing better medical facilities to patients, there is an absolute chaos at the Government Sri Maharaja Gulab Singh (SMGS) Hospital on the Shalamar Road.
The patients have to wait for hours in long queues braving hot and humid conditions to get slips for medical check-up. Even though the OPD slips are made available to the patients from early morning till 11 am, but the patients claimed difficulty in getting the same in the Dermatology Department. “I came to the hospital at around 9.30 am with the hope that after getting an OPD slip of the Dermatology Department I would be able to get my son, who is having a skin problem, checked,” said Nirmala, resident of Palroua.
“Though there is a heavy rush of patients in other departments of the hospital, like paediatrics, as it specially deals with children, but the condition is equally bad in the Dermatology Department,” she added. “When we enter the department to get OPD slips, most of the times the person concerned is either not available, or he is sitting somewhere else and that too knowing very well that the rush of patients having skin problems keeps on increasing with every single minute,” Rajesh Kumar, a resident of Nagrota, claimed.
“There is a need to take strong measures by the hospital management to solve the issue as poor patients cannot afford costly treatment in private hospitals and clinics,” he maintained.
Meanwhile, when contacted, Dr Dara Singh, Deputy Medical Superintendent, SMGS Hospital, said, “Yes, there is a heavy rush of patients in the hospital these days. The doctors have to attend to a large number of patients who have been waiting since morning.”
When asked about the steps being taken by the hospital administration to deal with the ever-increasing rush of patients, Dr Dara Singh said, “Recently, the Medical Council of India (MCI) increased the MBBS seats quota and we now hope that the faculty will be increased in various departments of the hospital.”