Idol Worship

Ramta

- -
- -

We Sikh like to amuse ourselves by proclaiming our belief in One God and not indulging in idol-worship which we say is for the Hindu's. 'Superstitious' we add. But what is superstition ?? Is not a belief in God in itself superstition ?? There is no scientific proof of God's existence after all.

We perform Parikrama around the Golden Temple building. If we find the Jutti of any Guru we start bowing from a 100 yards to pay our respect . If some body found some stone at some place and said that these are the stones which one of the Guru's used in Modi Khana, we build Big Gurdwawa's and Mela's are held and the stones are worshipped . If some body said that Guru Gobind Singh drank milk in a holed Jug we spend loads of money to pay homage. But Hindu's are idol worshipper's we all say. But even though Sikhism discourages idol worship, like many other sects of Hinduism do, the Guru's never said idol worshippers are evil and will go to hell. For when the Hindu worship's an idol he too is actually worshipping the same one Param-Atma.

There isn't really any person [except may be Jews], who does not believe in an idol, image, or symbol.All religions have some concept of God with name and form, but Hindus alone have the courage to admit that fact. The Cross in the Christian church, the picture of Jesus Christ, the statue of Mary, statues of patron saints, even the black stone in Kabba are all idols. If anyone bow in front of any of them, they are breaking laws of Old Testament [LED . . . 26:1, and EX 20:2-5.].

Idol worship is every where and I never ever met a man who does not worship something or someone. In fact, the first sculpture of Christ was in the form of a small boy holding on to a sheep. Now, everywhere in the world, people have pictures of Christ according to their culture. A loving young white man in USA, a tough man looking like a judge in Russia, a nice black man in Africa and a man looking like a typical man from China with a sheepish beard in China. I respect all those pictures. Believe it or not, all of them are idol worships. Once again, God is spirit...No word or image can describe or depict God or can encompass the greatness of God. God is neither the father nor the mother. Since man cannot conceive anything without name and form, man has the right to worship God with a form. At the same time, every worship leads to a God without any name and form in course of the development of the seeker in spirituality.

"...the image in the temple brings to the mind of the devotees their chosen aspect of God. They do not worship the wood, stone or earth of which the deity is made from. The idol remains an idol but the worship goes to the Lord. A symbol is absolutely indispensable for fixing the mind.The mind wants a prop to lean upon. It cannot have a conception of the Absolute in the initial stages. Without the help of some external aid, in the initial stages, the mind cannot be centralized. The people of the whole world, save a few Yogis and Vedantins, are all worshipers of idols. They keep some image or other in the mind"
- - - - - Swami Vivekananda - - - - -

We don't need some scholarly tome to convince us that the law of gravity is a true law or that heat from a stove would not burn your hand ?? These are pragmatic laws we all know. We don't need some scripture to tell us that idol worship is not really a worship of God. We all know it's the worship of the image of God. The image that suits 'us'. It helps.

The tooth of the Buddha in Sri Lankan, The juti of Guru Nanak, in Nanded, the holed jug the Gurudrank from etc. are loved and respected image. All religions have their symbols of holiness.

Thanks

- -
- -

- -
- -

Is not a belief in God in itself superstition ?? There is no scientific proof of God's existence after all.
baaki sab da taan pata ni
but i wud jus like to point out that part

how can u proove ki God doesn't exist?/

but before that read the following..

ishiqa said:
  • Discoveries in astronomy have shown beyond a reasonable doubt that the universe did, in fact, have a beginning. There was a single moment of creation.
  • Advances in molecular biology have revealed vast amounts of information encoded in each and every living cell, and molecular biologists have discovered thousands upon thousands of exquisitely designed machines at the molecular level. Information requires intelligence and design requires a designer.
  • Biochemists and mathematicians have calculated the odds against life arising from non-life naturally via unintelligent processes. The odds are astronomical. In fact, scientists aren't even sure if life could have evolved naturally via unintelligent processes. If life did not arise by chance, how did it arise?
  • The universe is ordered by natural laws. Where did these laws come from and what purpose do they serve?
  • Philosophers agree that a transcendent Law Giver is the only plausible explanation for an objective moral standard. So, ask yourself if you believe in right and wrong and then ask yourself why. Who gave you your conscience? Why does it exist?
  • People of every race, creed, color, and culture, both men and women, young and old, wise and foolish, from the educated to the ignorant, claim to have personally experienced something of the supernatural. So what are we supposed to do with these prodigious accounts of divine healing, prophetic revelation, answered prayer, and other miraculous phenomena? Ignorance and imagination may have played a part to be sure, but is there something more? i myself has experienced this.
  • We say prayer has a power, there have been many incidents, which are not actually possible according to "science". We can't ignore them. If prayer did move the circumstances then whom was that prayer to? Who listened to that prayer? Who actually made things happen(which are nearly impossible)
If your curiosity has been piqued and you desire to look into this matter further, i wud recommend that you consider the world's assortment of so-called Holy Books. If God does exist, has He revealed Himself? And if He has revealed Himself, surely He exists...
GOD-A supernatural Power..That surely exists
:cutie

Big B

Banned
- -
- -

An 'idol' is an object, any kind of object, of extreme devotion.
Venerating and holding as divine any man-made thing, be it a
sculpture, poetry, literature, idea, theory etc. is idol-worship.

That Parikrama around the Golden Temple is idol-worship.
Bowing to a Scripture no matter how great the idea it contains
again is idol-worship.

One may ask why do we Sikh need Naam-Simran to remember God ??
Isn't that verbal idol-worship?
A really spirituality shouldn't need Naam-Simran either...
Gurmat is verbal idol worship. A murti set to a Raaga.

Yes.
idol-worship is 'object worship'
use of Naam-Jaap is 'subject worship'.
An idol is a poetry in sculpted form.
'Baani' is an idol in verse....

That idol-worship doesn't guarantee mukti is nobodys case
but NOT idol-worshipping doesn't guarantee mukti either.
WE Sikh must stop thinking of ourselves as some kind of a
spiritually emancipated people because we don't idol-worship.

We all know there is nothing great about not being idol-worshipper.
But we keep making all this noice of we-no-idol-worshipper just
because we want toshow we are different...

"We are more like those white and blue eyed people you see..."

Thanks

- -
- -

Johal

ChArDi KaLaN
mein wi soch reha cc ke Dhanne nu ki ho gaya

changa bhala cc a kis thread wich reply kar reha
:an

Yaar Punjabi

Prime VIP
They worship one stone,
While the other stones they trample under their feet;
If the former is God, then the latter must also be the same.
So says Namdev: I worship God alone.
(Namdevji, Gauri Rag)

The stone which man calls God,
Takes him and drowns him along with it;
O sinful and disloyal creature, understand you not
That a boat of stone cannot carry you ashore?
Nanak has found that Lord, through the Guru,
Who feeds all His creation on sea and on land.
(Guru V, Suhi Rag)

Can someone explain me meaning of this shabad
ਹਿੰਦੂ ਮੂਲੇ ਭੂਲੇ ਅਖੁਟੀ ਜਾਂਹੀ ॥ਨਾਰਦਿ ਕਹਿਆ ਸਿ ਪੂਜ ਕਰਾਂਹੀ
ਅੰਧੇ ਗੁੰਗੇ ਅੰਧ ਅੰਧਾਰੁ ॥ ਪਾਥਰੁ ਲੇ ਪੂਜਹਿ ਮੁਗਧ ਗਵਾਰ
ਓਹਿ ਜਾ ਆਪਿ ਡੁਬੇ ਤੁਮ ਕਹਾ ਤਰਣਹਾਰੁ ॥[FONT=&quot]2[/FONT]

I wonder what kind of “Sikhs” worship Idols after reading the Guru’s message.

Guru Granth Sahib ji are not Idol,and we are not idol worshiper..A stone idol has nothing to teach us, that is just a stone..it has nothing to give us but Guru Sahib ji has great Knowledege and Spirituality to teach us,Guru ji did not order us to worship Guru Granth Sahib ji,,Guru ji told us to Follow SGGS..Guru maneyo Granth,,Na Ke Guru Pujeyo Granth ..SGGS is our 11th Guru,, and father and everything,,So We pay or give respect To SGGS..te asi matha Tek de haan...
Simply We dont worship Picture ,Idols ...We Just Follow Guru ji.sikhs may only bow down to Guru Granth Sahib for respect,

this is also truth that day by day sikhs are becoming idol worshipper .It is against Guru ji,,Sikh Sikha nu hi nahi das sake Gurbani ki kehndi aa,,,Afsos:(

pps309

Prime VIP
mehalaa 5 ||
Fifth Mehla:

jo paathhar ko kehathae dhaev ||
Those who call a stone their god

thaa kee birathhaa hovai saev ||
their service is useless.

jo paathhar kee paa(n)ee paae ||
Those who fall at the feet of a stone god

this kee ghaal ajaa(n)ee jaae ||1||
- their work is wasted in vain. ||1||

t(h)aakur hamaraa sadh bola(n)thaa ||
My Lord and Master speaks forever.

sarab jeeaa ko prabh dhaan dhaethaa ||1|| rehaao ||
God gives His gifts to all living beings. ||1||Pause||
Don't know about individuals, or other religions but as far as Gurbani is concerned, Guru Arjan dev Sahib has strongly condemned Idol worship in this shabad.

tomarnidhi

no offense meant but I hv seen almost every Sikh household having photos of their gurus.. shayad aap uske saamne pooja nahi karte but keeping it there equates to idol worship.. Idol worship doesnt necessarily mean stone idol, pic also is almost the same thing

Coming to Hinduism there are sects - Sanaatan dharm (idol worship) and Arya Samaj(doesn't promote Idol worship) .. U cant generalise all hindus in Idol worship category

pps309

Prime VIP
^^ I have photos of Al Pacino & Sylvester Stallone (rocky fame) pictures in my home, garage. Big fan of them. Does that mean I do Idol worship???
I deny that logic.......

Unless & until one don't worship the pictures, and don't seek blessings from picture its not Idol worshipping.

Yes, there are many Sikhs who still do Idol worshipping but keeping picture is not Idol worshipping.

Mahaj

YodhaFakeeR
Bhaji we dont call sikh doing idol worship a sikh....he is something else .....its the most basic condition to be sikh lol

tomarnidhi

PPS Gud taste :p

All m saying is that generalizing that all Hindus are Idol worshipers is wrong. Quoting lines like "They worship one stone,while the other stones they trample under their feet;If the former is God, then the latter must also be the same." - is officious

Like you said, a lot of Sikhs are into Idol worship as are Hindus then why is it that its acceptable for one sect & not for the other..

@n@@m

unknown but known to all
Nice reply nidhi :y i told them that in many threads but still they are generalising just to prove what they think.:d better leave them with their thinking. :hassa