Driving Advice?

I have a driving habit that i follow. If there is a red light. Before i slow down i shift into neutral and then jst press the brake slowly to slow down.

Like i am in 4th and there is a red light up ahead. I shift into neutral and then just let the car roll and then press the brake slowly to stop.

Is it ok to do that? Does it affect the transmission or is it fine to do it?

ลgǝи†.47

Codename 47
Thats a wrong practise my friend. If your driving a manual like I do. If your at about 80 kmph , and you know you gota break slow down clutch - brake and then bring the car to 2nd hear and then let it roll which will slow it down eventually and prevents you breaking all the time.
As Dhillon veer said above car engines can stop whilest idle and that will eventually affect the braking as most of the cars have power/hydraulic brakes which works only when engine is running so you might don't wana do that/

I don't play around with neutral ,always keep the car in gear and if your doing somewhere around 170-180 make sure you don't brake too hard just push the gears to lower ones.

kanjjar

Banned
As far as transmission is concern its perfectly fine. It does not affect the transmission at all.
As far safety is concern then you need to google " OCD " Google it you will probably agree with me. lol
Funny because I have similar OCD but its about a particular Red light in my city which i always have to run. hahahaha

Singh-a-lion

Prime VIP
Its wrong. If u wana stop den u must nt put in nutral coz in gear the vehical is easy to stop. Gear works as another brake of vehical. Nd if u stop the vehical in gear den your brake lether will last long....

Mahaj

YodhaFakeeR
clutch plates udd jaania ....mae v shimla ton onda ik vaar eda ee karda c..pahar ton thale aundea neutral ch paa dena gear.....fer 1 week mae neutral ch pea reha lol

Singh-a-lion

Prime VIP
In 1970 nd 80's in driving test in england. They ask the driver to go through the mud area at highspeed nd brake powerfully without skidind the tyres nd der that technique works dont use clutch While wen brake at its peak den slowly press clutch that engine dnt turn off

agree with gagan .. of course u can use lower shifts to slow down the vehicle

Doesn't that shorten the life of transmission over time?

I heard someone say there are times when its better to shift into neutral and there are times when it is the other way around.

Brake pads 12- 49 dollars trans 1500 + which one do you want to buy?:)

P-_-u-_-n-_-j-_-a-_-b

Eh Drivery line vich mera hath bahut kaim aaa :gurvy

Par Gareji De Line vich Hath Ohna He Tight Aaa Esli Mai Vichar Ta Paragt Karna Chona Par Gareji Jahi Nai Samj Aaa Rahi :an

MAVERICK

That's dangerous practice ! Most power brake systems require engine to be running/spinning for the hydraulics to work.
At Neutral, engine can die and brakes won't work.....

can somebody enlighten me on this topic, with some references...coz as far as i know its just mechanical lever used to push a master cylinder with a double acting piston and a return spring attached, being used with no need of engine running..

Dhillon

Dhillon Sa'aB™
Staff member
^^ Something like this--
Power-assisted brakes provide additional brake pressure in most cars. A device called a booster is mounted between the brake pedal and the master cylinder. When the driver steps on the pedal, the booster uses the difference in pressure between the vacuum in the engine and the surrounding atmosphere to apply additional pressure to the piston in the master cylinder.

Vaise tusi sarre aap experiment karke dekh lo, khalli sadak te chaldi gaddi da engine bandh karke brake test karlo :)