Dhoni first wicketkeeper to lead in 100 ODIs

Lily

B.R
Staff member
It was a special day for Mahendra Singh Dhoni at the Sardar Patel Gujarat Stadium in Motera. The match not only created history under his captaincy but he also achieved a personal landmark. He became the first wicket-keeper to captain a team in 100 One-day international matches.

After the match, which was his 184th One-day international, he was at his jovial best after a long time. Just the day before the match, he had snubbed the Indian media stating that he would speak only when it is most warranted, and had even said that "the lesser the players talk, lesser will be the controversies". Though he did not come for the official press conference, he said: "I was really satisfied to keep Australia under 250 runs. All my players gave more than 100 per cent in the match."

Dhoni, who was very critical about his team's fielding before, for a change praised the team's fielding, and said: "As a fielding unit, we were at our best today. Though we are not a good fielding side, we did very well on the field. I am sure we have saved around 15 runs that we did not have to chase."