Probe Pinky’s charges, Capt tells govt

Jaswinder Singh Baidwan

Akhran da mureed
Staff member
State Congress president Capt Amarinder Singh today said the confessions of former Punjab police “cat” Gurmeet Singh Pinky needed to be probed. He said it was for the government to prove that the allegations were baseless.
On Pinky’s charge that he paid Rs50 lakh bribe for his reinstatement in the state police, Amarinder that if the government failed to investigate the matter, the Congress would do the needful if voted to power in 2017.
The former CM said: “Pinky’s fake encounter charge has serious implications. If he has seen the killing of 50 people, he should reveal the names of the culprits so that justice could be done.”
Indicating that he was willing to reach out to PPP president Manpreet Badal and the CPM for the upcoming elections, Amarinder said he was in favour of an alliance of secular forces. “I have not talked to Manpreet yet, but I will certainly like to see secular forces coming together. That will certainly improve our position. I had talked to CPM general secretary Sitaram Yechury on the matter a couple of months ago, and he would be happy to cooperate with the Congress, given the present situation in the state. I am willing to take the first step to initiate talks.”
He alleged many false FIRs had been registered during the SAD-BJP regime. After coming to power, the party would set up a special commission to look into these cases, he said, adding: "At least 90 per cent of the FIRs are false and lodged with political motive. These will be scrapped and those responsible for conniving with politicians will be taken to task."
On selection of the CLP leader, the PPCC chief backed Jakhar, but said: "Senior leader Lal Singh will be part of the meeting. AICC general secretary Shakeel Ahmad and two observers will preside over the proceedings."
Says will initiate talks for alliance
Capt Amarinder said: "I will certainly like to see secular forces coming together ahead of the state Assembly elections. That will certainly improve our position. I had talked to CPM general secretary Sitaram Yechury on the matter a couple of months ago. I am sure he would be happy to cooperate with the Congress, given the present situation in the state. I am willing to take the first step to initiate talks."
Backs Jakhar for CLP leader’s post
Supporting senior party leader Sunil Jakhar for another term as Congress Legislature Party leader, Amarinder said: "In my 47 years of political experience, Jakhar was one of the most able CLP leaders I have come across. People enjoyed listening to him for two hours in the last session even as they cannot stand anyone for 15 minutes. All MLAs like him."