Harbhajan, irritant and inspiration, says hasta la vista, Australians

Jeet4560

FAREWELL, Harbhajan, thanks for the memories - and come back soon.
And you're right, deep down Australia probably doesn't mind you so much.
"Whatever I have coped with in the last three months, it has been a very hard time for me," Harbhajan Singh told the Herald before departing for home yesterday.
"It was a very great effort by the team and a big learning experience for me, not just as a cricketer but as a man. I have always known myself. I am a fighter."
In true Turbanator tone, he took a parting swipe at his enemies and critics, but as only one who feeds off such energy would, Harbhajan also applauded Australia and relished a return.
"What made [Matthew Hayden] say all that - he thinks he is becoming bigger than me and bigger than the game," he said of the "little obnoxious weed" radio insult.
"I could have said a lot of things about him but I won't talk about these things in public, we have shown things on the field.
"The best way is to do it out on the ground and we have dominated them, not the other way around."
Harbhajan has been stinging the Australians all summer with words and action, but also absorbed the retaliatory blows.
He was keen to share the glory after his team's historic 2-0 one-day finals series victory, lavishing praise on his younger teammates. "We are all tough characters, we have shown that on the field and off the field," he said.
"It is like we were prepared for any situation or any challenge. We are a very, very proud cricket team. We deserved this. This win takes us to the next level, and we have shown the world what we are capable of.
"We have always given Australia a tough time, a very hard time. We never give them an easy sort of win, we're the only team that does really well against Australia."
But as he packed his bags - a sinner and a winner - Harbhajan acknowledged that this trip had taken a toll on his family.
"It has been harder for them than for me, actually. I am proud to be Indian," he said. "I would like to thank all of my Indian fans and all of my supporters in Australia who have stood beside me in this rough time over the last three months.
"I don't really feel the pressure. I just take it the way things come and I try to stay very cool. What people were saying about me … I am not here to make friends, and I can't play soft.
"The Australians love the sort of people who can compete with them. Australia has some sort of liking for me in them. They boo me and say things at times but it didn't really bother me - the more they will do it, the more I will keep on performing.
"Good things happen for good people."
His captain, Mahendra Singh Dhoni, said the imposing spin bowler was "difficult to calm down" but admired that. "He is an aggressive player, a player who is expressive on the field … the type of player who fights quite hard," Dhoni said. "That is a quality and that is what character is all about."
It began with an alleged racist remark to Andrew Symonds in Sydney, which regurgitated previous allegations by the same rival, and as the tour grew uglier, Harbhajan found more voice.
He had Ricky Ponting's measure during the Test series, and his wild forward roll celebration after claiming the wicket of Australia's captain was hard to swallow for the home team and its supporters.
Yet Harbhajan never lay down, rallying the young team when few thought they could make an impact on this series after four previous failed attempts by their more experienced predecessors.
"I love a challenge. The more you like a challenge, the stronger the person you are," he said.
"This tour will make me a strong person. There will be many youngsters back home who will be inspired.
"One thing I also want to mention, the Australian people have been very good. They said things to me but I have forgotten about that now. When I was in Sydney and Melbourne people would come up to me and say hello.
"I love Australia and I can't wait to come back and play more good cricket."
With future series likely to be dubbed boring in comparison to this 80-day headline, Australia may well open its arms next time.
"Good things happen for good people."
His captain, Mahendra Singh Dhoni, said the imposing spin bowler was "difficult to calm down" but admired that. "He is an aggressive player, a player who is expressive on the field … the type of player who fights quite hard," Dhoni said. "That is a quality and that is what character is all about."
It began with an alleged racist remark to Andrew Symonds in Sydney, which regurgitated previous allegations by the same rival, and as the tour grew uglier, Harbhajan found more voice.
He had Ricky Ponting's measure during the Test series, and his wild forward roll celebration after claiming the wicket of Australia's captain was hard to swallow for the home team and its supporters.
Yet Harbhajan never lay down, rallying the young team when few thought they could make an impact on this series after four previous failed attempts by their more experienced predecessors.
"I love a challenge. The more you like a challenge, the stronger the person you are," he said.
"This tour will make me a strong person. There will be many youngsters back home who will be inspired.
"One thing I also want to mention, the Australian people have been very good. They said things to me but I have forgotten about that now. When I was in Sydney and Melbourne people would come up to me and say hello.
"I love Australia and I can't wait to come back and play more good cricket."
With future series likely to be dubbed boring in comparison to this 80-day headline, Australia may well open its arms next time.

smh: Harbhajan, irritant and inspiration, says hasta la vista, Australians - Cricket