Yuvraj Singh: Our batsmen let the bowlers down

Lily

B.R
Staff member
While writing this article, I am still feeling numb and exhausted because of the defeat against the Chennai Super Kings at Chepauk.

It was one of those matches where we were really charged up and each member in the side wanted to turn things around. But that wasn't the case and we have no one to blame apart from ourselves. We don't have much time to ponder about the defeat and should get back to the ground to put up a better show.

Every batsman responsible

Looking back at the match, I won't mince my words in saying that once again our batting didn't live up to the expectations and every batsman, including me, in the team is responsible for this.

I was really disappointed with myself as I wanted to be there till the end and finish the game. But it was one of those days when the ball wasn't following the command of my bat and no matter how hard I tried, things didn't work.

The Chepauk wicket was slightly on the slower side and shot-making wasn't easy. Our bowlers made the most of the conditions and did a terrific job of restricting Super Kings to a reasonable total of 142.

It was very much an achievable target and looking at our batting I don't see any reason why we shouldn't have got those runs.

While chasing the above said target on a wicket like this, you need to maintain a steady run rate without taking too many chances.

Slowness of the pitch

Losing a wicket adds to the pressure as the new batsman will always take some time to get used to the slowness of the pitch and the conditions.

In the last two games we have lost far too many wickets in the first six overs and that has added to the pressure, especially while chasing.

This is one area we need to work on and improve. Right shot selection and rotating the strike are two key elements of building a partnership.

Just like any other form of the game, partnerships are the basic foundation of an innings.

All credit to the Super Kings

All credit to the Super Kings bowlers who responded well to the challenge and defended their total.

They took wickets with the new ball and didn't allow us to score freely when the ball got old and was gripping the surface. In a nutshell, our fine bowling effort wasn't backed well by the batters.

Way up

One third of the tournament has gone by and now is the time when things should start working for us.

We started well by winning our first two games and then have lost our way a bit by losing three games in a row.

Looking at the league table, we are in the bottom half of the table and the only way we should go from here is up. I have full faith in the ability and effort of this side and I am very sure that results will start coming our way, sooner rather than later.

Defeat shows your weaknesses

One thing about defeat is that it shows you your apparent weaknesses and presents you with an opportunity to reflect on your game.

There are plenty of lessons learnt from the last game and we really need to raise our intensity when we take on the Super Kings again at our homeground. These back-to-back games against them provide us a unique chance to set the record straight.