Yaara O Dildara Film Review

.::BaD~MiStEr::.

Rampuriya !!
######

Bring all your bricks for throwing at me, as i’m entitled to writing an honest review, and those who expect all praises for YOD, should bring machine guns as well. Just remember that its my personal review. You might like the movie more than me, or you might find it even worse, we all have our choices and ways of thinking. So nothing personal here, just my two bricks…

I would say that Harbhajan Maan is entitled towards making family movies and he is doing a great job at it, but the audience today doesnt want family movies anymore. Even if Yaara O Dildaara didnt have all the faults that i’m going to list down, people still wouldn’t have made it a hit, because they dont want to watch family drama anymore. The same holds true for Bollywood these days. If the film Yaara O Dildaara fails, its not going to be Harbhajan Maan’s fault, it’s the audience’s fault. They dont want to watch good films anymore..

Yaara O Dildara is an average movie in all its brilliance. I wish i could say any better than that, but that’s how i felt. Its a family movie.. Yes; Harbhajan Maan has improved a lot in his act… Yes; Families enjoyed the film… Yes; Is it a great film… No. The film falls all over the place in the second half and the theater was full of hooting and funny comments in the second half.

Harbhajan Maan has given his best performance so far and there is no doubt about that. He was very good in emotional scenes as well. But still, to say, that he is a perfect actor, wont hold true. But he has tried his best to do the best this time and that should be appreciated. Gulzar Inder Chahal has done well, but his role was topsy turvy and it didn’t have enough depth to establish any sympathies from the audience. Everytime he would have things working out for him, those Gundas would drop in and we will see a fight sequence. Really inconvenient.

Tulip Joshi was absolute pleasure to watch.. oh she is beautiful and she did her part very well. Everyone in theater loved her and there was no hooting or commenting during her scenes. Junita Dodda, on the other hand, didn’t impress much. She didnt have much depth in her role and she didnt try much to do justice either. Tulip Joshi simply leaps far ahead of her in female wars. Besides Junita looked real fat in certain scenes. And hey, both of them should check their underarms before making bold moves in song sequences.

Gurpreet Ghuggi was good and people did clap for him, but for the first time i saw a number of his jokes falling apart and no one laughing at them. He also went off track with the 9 months / 11 months joke, that was ridiculous attempt at comedy and some people also made weird comments at that. Apart from that there were other jokes as well that didnt register for him. In saving his graces, he did put in some bold political jokes in the film concentrating on Akali/BJP and Congress political scenario. Those i really enjoyed. Also, his brief act as the Dean of college was simply awesome… a brief look into what Ghuggi is capable of as an actor.

As soon as BN Sharma appeared on screen, the theater was full of applause and some voices said.. “a Gaya Palta”. It took sometime to understand that he was acting as the Grandfather in the movie, but his scenes were amazingly good and i enjoyed his comedy. Akshita was wasted… Kabir Bedi was wasted… Daadi was good… That’s all.

All bricks i can bring together in evaluating the film and the problems with it, gesture towards the fact that plot was not necessarily bad, but it wasn’t executed well. Besides there was one loophole that totally killed the film for me. So.. Tulip Joshi and HM were going around and were like.. totally in love. Still, Tulip didn’t think it was important to tell HM about her father? Later HM’s folks actually came to her Home for her hand in marriage and they did touch upon her relatives and family background. Still she didn’t think of telling him the truth? That’s too far fetched. And to say that Tulip never knew about it as her mother never told her about it is again a huge loophole. Why didn’t her mother explain the truth to her when HM’s parents made it clear that they were interested in knowing who her father was?

Secondly, it was HM’s family who decided not to go ahead with the marriage of HM and Tulip, but in the end, HM says that it was Tulip’s decision to separate. That was awkwardly funny. Tulip sacrificed her love for HM’s character and HM’s character simply blames her for separating? is he really that naive? And also Why is Daadi asking Tulip’s Mother if they can still marry Tulip and HM? It was she and Kabir Bedi who refused the marriage.. total breakdown of plot lines.

Besides that, the background score was terrible in the film. All the action sequences were based on rock riffs and at other times it was too loud to be called a background score. The editing of the film was very bad. I remember that there were two incidents where the dialog wont even finish and the scene would cut to the next. Lighting in the film was bad. Most of the time, the lights were flickering. They are most notable in the scene where Kabir Bedi is sitting in the lawn under a make shift umbrella set. Daadi comes with HM and the lights on the whole Umbrella thingie are flickering. One of the viewers said “Oye voltage ghat a.. Fridge band kar deo…”.

There are other observations i made in the film and im putting them in words in a list:

1. One most irritating thing for me in the film were the extreme closeups. The camera was too much in the face and everyone looked old at such closeups. The closeups of the Actor who tells Kabir Bedi about Tulip ‘s Mother being unmarried were terrible. The camera was on his lips and eyes in extreme closeup. I understand the need for showing the effect of chuglian, but it should look good atleast.

2. The whole song sequence of Happy Hai Ji was shot inside the house. I know that it was meant to be a Party at Home, but the song lost all its impact, at least there could have been more crowd.

3. Exactly how many cars did Sandhu family have? Every time they would be driving a new car.. do they even know about Tax Department?

4. Jonita looked very fat in some scenes, especially where they are shopping for jewelry and she is wearing pink dress.

5. Jonita and Tulip… underarms ladies.. underarms…

6. In the second fight sequence Gulzar breaks the neck of a Gunda and clearly that move is capable of killing someone and still there are no consequences for him.

7. And in that very scene there is a Police Interceptor Gypsy coming in the garden… really? Can they do that?

8. After Gulzar has the dream sequence of HM and Jonita getting engaged, HM and Gulzar wake in the same bed… they are adults.. do they still sleep together? That was pretty awkward and…. you know what i mean.

9. When Tulip and her mother are leaving for Canada, they have no luggage. You can say that they might have already checked it in. But if they have checked-in their luggage, how can Kabir Bedi and family actually come and meet them in the boarding area?

10. When the film ends, they all start walking in the direction in which Tulip and her mother were walking when they were leaving for Canada. Are they all going to Canada now? Shouldn’t they exit from the gate, from which they initially came in?

In the end i would say that Harbhajan Maan is entitled towards making family movies and he is doing great job at it, but the audience today doesnt want family movies anymore. Even if Yaara O Dildaara didnt have all these faults, people still wouldn’t have made it a hit, because they dont want to watch family drama anymore. The same holds true for Bollywood these days. If the film Yaara O Dildaara fails, its not going to be Harbhajan Maan’s fault, it’s the audience’s fault. They dont want to watch good films anymore..

[I have Just Copy Pasted this Review]