Xi addresses US concerns, says will check cybertheft

Jaswinder Singh Baidwan

Akhran da mureed
Staff member
US President Barack Obama on Friday said he and Chinese President Xi Jinping reached a “common understanding” on addressing cyber spying issues and agreed that neither would conduct or knowingly support cyber-enabled theft of intellectual property. Obama said he raised “serious concerns” about growing cyber threats with Xi. "I indicated that it has to stop," he said, though he also urged further cooperation.
"This is progress, but I have to insist that our work is not yet done.” The two leaders also unveiled a deal to build on a landmark emissions agreement struck last year, outlining new steps they will take to deliver on pledges they made then to slash their greenhouse gas emissions. Speaking after White House talks during Xi’s first US state visit, Obama quickly homed in on the thorniest dispute between the world's two biggest economies — growing US complaints about Chinese hacking of government and corporate databases.
"I raised, once again, our rising concerns about growing cyber threats to American companies and American citizens. I indicated that it has to stop,” Obama told reporters at a joint news conference, with Xi standing at his side. “Today I can announce that our two countries reached a common undersanding on the way forward.”
The White House said the two leaders agreed to create a senior expert group to further discuss cyber issues, and a high-level group to talk about how to fight cyber crime that will meet by the end of 2015 and twice a year after that.
Even as the White House rolled out the red carpet for Xi, behind the pomp and pageantry were tensions over a litany of issues, including Beijing's economic policies, territorial disputes with its neighbors and China's human rights record. Obama greeted Xi on arrival at the White House on Friday morning for an elaborate ceremony on the South Lawn, including a military honor guard and 21-gun salute. The two leaders then sat down for a formal summit.
US and Chinese officials sought to cast the talks in a favorable light by showcasing at least one area of cooperation - the global fight against climate change.
As part of their agreement, Xi announced that China, the world's biggest emitter of greenhouse gases, will launch a national carbon cap-and-trade system in 2017 to help contain the country's emissions, which will build on seven regional pilot markets already operation in China. Such systems put limits on carbon emissions and open up markets for companies to buy and sell the right to produce emissions.
China's status as a developing country has meant it is under no obligation to promise carbon cuts, a situation that has irked US politicians and other industrialized nations. For Obama, the deal with China strengthens his hand ahead of a global summit on climate change in Paris in December. — Reuters