Women n SriGuruGranthSahb

Loveye

mauja maan di
In praise of women

"We are born woman, we are conceived in the womb of woman, we are engaged and married to woman. We make friendship with woman and the lineage continued because of woman. When one woman dies, we take another one, we are bound with the world through woman. We grow up stronger and wiser having drunk milk from the breast of woman.
WHY should we talk ill of her, who gives birth to kings ?? The woman is born from woman; there is none without her. Only the One True Lord is without woman"
(Guru Nanak Dev, Var Asa, page 473)

Marriage is an equal partnership of love and sharing between husband and wife

"They are not husband and wife, who merely sit together. Rather they alone are called husband and wife, who have one spirit in two bodies" (Guru Amar Das, Pauri , Page 788)

Women have an equal right to participate in the congregation.

"Come my sisters and dear comrades! Clasp me in thine embrace. Meeting together, let us tell the tales of our Omnipotent Spouse (GOD). In the True Lord are all merits, in us all demerits." (Guru Nanak Dev, Sri Rag, page 17)
God is the husband and we are all his brides.

"The spouse is but ONE and all other are His brides. The false bride assumes many religious garbs. When the Lord stops her going into another's home, then is she summoned into her Lord's mansion without any let and hindrance. She is adorned with the Name and is dear to her True Lord. She alone is the true bride and the Lord lends her his support" (Guru Nanak Dev, Ramkali, page 933) (NOTE : Lord is one of the names of God)
God is our Mother as well as our Father.

"Thou O Lord, art my Father and Thou my Mother. Thou art the Giver of peace to my soul and very life." (Guru Arjan Dev, Bhairo, page 1144)

The practice of women burning themselves on their husbands funeral pyre ( sati ) condemne.

"They cannot be called satis, who burn themselves with their dead husbands. They can only be called satis, if they bear the shock of separation. They may also be known as satis , who live with character and contentment and always show veneration to their husbands by remembering them." (Guru Amar Das, Var Suhi , page 787)

The ritual of dowry so prevalent in many societies condemned.

"Any other dowry, which the perverse place for show, that is false pride and worthless gilding. O' my Father ! give me the Name of Lord God as a gift and dowry." (Guru Ram Das, Sri Rag, Page 79)
The rape and brutalities committed against women by the Mughal invader Babar condemned. "Modesty and righteousness both have vanished and falsehood moves about as the leader, O Lalo The function of the Qazis and the Brahmins is over and the Satan now reads the marriage rites (rape). The Muslim women read the Quran and in suffering call upon God, O Lalo. The Hindu women of high cast and others of low caste, may also be put in the same account, O Lalo " (Guru Nanak Dev, Tilang, page 722)
First Supreme Being Guru Nanak laid th foundation of Sikhism which believes in casteless, egalitarian society which guarantees equal rights to Women. Each of the Supreme Being Gurus under authority of God gave women equal status. They gained social and religious freedom at a time when the existing religions and society considered women to be property.The falso notion that they were inherently evil and unclean was removed. A woman was regarded as temptaion-incarnate. The Gurus exposed the folly of such notions. (Judaism, Islam, Christianity, Hinduism, Jainism, they all directly say Women are unclean and inferior)
Sixth Supreme Being Guru Hargobind called Woman " the conscience of man " In religious gatherings, men and women sang and preached without any distinction. The wearing of purdah (women wearing veils to hide the face) was rejected as demeaning to women. Guru Hargobind refused to have dinner with any Queen who wore a veil.

Da Tiwana

Inspector Sa'ab ;)
really nice
keep these posts comin beeba ji
we really need this kinda literature here.........
thanks once again.