When should you switch Jobs?

J@tti

..Majajan..
What is a good reason to switch jobs? And what should be the minimum time lag between two jobs?

How often have you switched jobs?:chef

The best practice is that you should have at Least 4-5 Years Exp. in present company.......

Good Reason to switch job is to Seek other career opportunities and of course Good Money :)

J@tti

..Majajan..
2 Years :( I don't believe its good.

But yes if u r running after Money then 1 year is enough :lol

I don't need to run... Money finds me! :d

On a serious note, I said 2 years because that gives you enough time to add value to the company - so you cover for the cost your company spent on recruitment and training.

5 years is too long... I will be 40 and would have only switched 3-4 jobs.

I like change way too much to do that.

pps309

Prime VIP
Good reason to switch jobs:
More money, incentives and higher designation with more responsibility

Not going good with current team or management

I think we should keep on changing our jobs every 4-5 years if job designation is same. Doing the same type of work over 4-5 years will make job boring and learning curve die

J@tti

..Majajan..
5 years - Learning curve dies in a year!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have not spent more than 8 months in a job. My manager keeps on switching me around to keep it interesting :haha

pps309

Prime VIP
2 Years :( I don't believe its good.

But yes if u r running after Money then 1 year is enough :lol

there is nothing wrong in changing job for more money. For the same work you are getting paid more then I don't see a reason not to change job unless you have some other reasons (near to home, your own company, immigration issues or good counter offer).

there is nothing wrong in changing job for more money. For the same work you are getting paid more then I don't see a reason not to change job unless you have some other reasons (near to home, your own company, immigration issues or good counter offer).

Generally ppl change job to get good designation :)

Like Sr., Lead or manager :)

I took in that Sense.
Lower the exp.and More job switching will make u lead a life of an Engineer :)

pps309

Prime VIP
5 years - Learning curve dies in a year!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have not spent more than 8 months in a job. My manager keeps on switching me around to keep it interesting :haha

haha.......mere comment aam insaan lai aa. Mere warge gareeb je lai, tu ta Mahan aatma hai.

Seriously, I don't know about your job, in my field there is lot of things to learn. We release software every 6 months, so I do get to work on new protocols every 6 months. Now a days, I am feeling bored and my manager promoted me. But still its the same work :p

Mainu ta immigration issues roki rakhde aa, else I will change jobs every 2-3 years :p

pps309

Prime VIP
Generally ppl change job to get good designation :)

Like Sr., Lead or manager :)

I took in that Sense.
Lower the exp.and More job switching will make u lead a life of an Engineer :)

Yeah Ture....
In India, its different scenario.
Here sometimes Good engr earn more than manager :)

I mean its interest, if you are technical person, you might not like to be s/w manager. You will be happy as engr or technical architect.

J@tti

..Majajan..
Mahan Aatma! Aha... I like how that sounds.

There are always things to learn... but the curve is not that steep after few months.

My manager thinks I should switch after 10 years :eek:

Congrats on the promotion! Keep at it.

In India, its different scenario.
Here sometimes Good engr earn more than manager :)

Experience Matters :)

My sr. team memebrs earns more than my Lead :lol

My sr. Team member has 4 Years of Exp. in Convergys so got a good Hike and Grade :)

There are always things to learn... but the curve is not that steep after few months.

10 Years is like Putting Someone in a Building and locked the building :lol

pps309

Prime VIP

Thanks!!
10 years seems like one full life...I will die doing same job 10 years but if its different roles I can.

I changed 4 jobs in US since I came here in 05. My last job change, hiring manager did make a notice of that and I had a strong reason to tell him why I will stick here.