Under Eye Care Tips

You can tell a lot from looking at a person’s eyes. I’m not talking about an “eyes are the windows to your soul” type of deal, rather the puffiness, bags, and wrinkles that easily give away how long the party went on last night or how much time you spent in the tanning booth over the years.

While many people are very careful about skin care and take special steps for their face, it is common to forget that the skin around your eyes deserves some special attention because of its ultra-sensitive nature. That area on your face is also the first to show any damage or wear and tear, but there are some precautions you can take to insure that you aren’t giving away too much with your eyes.

When applying any kind of product, cleansers, lotions, or makeup removers on the sensitive area around your eyes, be sure to use your ring finger which has the lightest touch. Rubbing harshly on the thin, delicate skin can cause premature wrinkles and puffiness. So, when you are applying a moisturizer, it is best to dab it lightly on the area using the ring finger. I am most guilty of rubbing back and forth when I am removing my eye makeup, but it is better to press a remover-soaked cotton ball on your eyes until the makeup dissolves and easily washes away.

While eight hours is ideal, I’d be lying if I say that it is always doable. But, with the lack of sleep comes the puffiness and dark circles around your eyes, letting everyone know how tired you really are. To get rid of those telltale signs, you can slice some chilled cucumber and place them on your tired eyes. If you are out of cucumbers in your fridge, white potato slices also do the trick. You can also soak a towel or cotton pads in cool tea and place them over your eyes. Relax for about 15 minutes with these cool foods, and the puffiness and dark circles should be reduced.

To combat crows feet, the first thing you should do is kick your smoking habit, and right after, go slather on some SPF. The nicotine in cigarettes rids the skin of collagen and elastin, which causes those pesky eye wrinkles to come out in full force. As we all know, the sun causes skin damage, and it is amplified in the sensitive skin around your eyes. For a quick fix, apply cold egg white to your eye area, which works to tighten the skin.

Be sure to keep that sensitive skin well moisturized. Sometimes, it tends to get drier than the other areas on your face because it is so thin and sensitive. Applying olive oil to the area can combat the dryness, but be sure to use your ring finger as previously advised.