Uncapped Astle, Phillips added in ODI squad for India series

[JUGRAJ SINGH]

Prime VIP
Staff member
Uncapped wicketkeeper Glenn Phillips and legspinner Todd Astle have been selected in New Zealand's squad for the upcoming One-Day International series against India. New Zealand, who had earlier named nine players in the squad, have added the remaining six from the current A side for the upcoming ODI and the T20I series.

While the 20-year old Phillips has featured in a T20I, Astle has played two Tests and two T20Is. However, they are yet to make their ODI debut.

Speaking about the inclusion of the duo, selector Gavin Larsen said, "Todd has been one of the best white-ball players in domestic cricket the last few seasons and he's backed that up with a strong showing for New Zealand A. Todd brings all-round skill to the squad, quality legspin, is athletic in the field as well as being able to contribute with the bat.

"Glenn has made an immediate effect in domestic cricket and has certainly taken his opportunity over here with New Zealand A, including an outstanding 140 not out. Glenn is an option for us with the gloves in both Twenty20s and ODIs, so we feel we have our bases covered with the 15 we've picked."

Apart from the uncapped duo, Matt Henry, Henry Nicholls, Colin Munro and left-arm spinner George Worker have also been added to the side. They will join the squad following New Zealand A's tour of India.

The hard-hitting Munro is seen as one of the options to partner Martin Guptill at the top of the order. Head coach Mike Hesson said, "The beauty of Colin is he is a boundary hitter. He doesn't so much adapt to conditions, he plays one way - batting in the middle order can make that difficult, and he has had success since we moved him up in T20s."

Legspinner Ish Sodhi will replace Worker in the T20I squad, while Tom Bruce will also join the squad in place of Ross Taylor for the shortest format. Both Bruce and Sodhi will travel with the ODI squad, but will play only in the T20Is.

Worker, who batted at No. 3 in New Zealand's series against Ireland, is another option the team management is considering as an opener.

ODI squad: Kane Williamson (c), Todd Astle, Trent Boult, Colin de Grandhomme, Martin Guptill, Matt Henry, Tom Latham, Henry Nicholls, Adam Milne, Colin Munro, Glenn Phillips, Mitchell Santner, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, George Worker

T20I squad: Kane Williamson (c), Todd Astle, Trent Boult, Tom Bruce, Colin de Grandhomme, Martin Guptill, Matt Henry, Tom Latham, Henry Nicholls, Adam Milne, Colin Munro, Glenn Phillips, Mitchell Santner, Ish Sodhi, Tim Southee