UN, security, economy, environment focus of forum

Lily

B.R
Staff member
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh yesterday said he looked forward to his talks with the leadership of Brazil and South Africa on a host of issues, notably global security, economy, climate change and UN reform, at the Ibsa Summit in Pretoria tomorrow.

"The Ibsa Dialogue Forum has matured considerably over the years. There is now a greater cooperation across a wider canvas," the prime minister said in a statement ahead of his scheduled departure for Pretoria this morning.

"Above all, the idea of three large developing democracies — Brazil, India and South Africa — working together in a highly complex global environment has taken root, and has received universal welcome by our peoples," he said.

According to the prime minister, the meeting will focus on coordination among the Ibsa countries in the UN Security Council, sustainable development and the forthcoming meetings on climate change and the G20 in Durban and Cannes, respectively.

‘Happy coincidence'

"It is a happy coincidence that in 2011 India, Brazil and South Africa are members of the UN Security Council. We have shown significant cohesiveness and coordination in our approach to issues under discussion in the Security Council," he said.

"During my stay in Pretoria, I look forward to holding bilateral meetings with President Jacob Zuma [of South Africa] and President Dilma Rousseff [Brazil] to exchange views on global, regional and bilateral issues of mutual interest," he added.

"I also look forward to an exchange of views with Ibsa partners on the current global economic and financial situation, especially in the context of the forthcoming G20 Summit in France."

The prime minister's delegation will include External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna, Commerce Minister Anand Sharma, National Security Adviser Shivshankar Menon, and his Principal Secretary Pulok Chatterjee.