Types Of Cancer


Staff member
Cancer is basically an uncontrolled growth of a group of cells, invading the adjacent tissues or spreading to far off places in the body, through lymph or blood. A disease that has almost no definite cure till date, cancer affects people of all ages, even the fetuses in a womb. However, the risk of developing cancer increases with old age. Except for leukemia, almost all the types of cancer result in the development of a tumor. In the following lines, we have provided more information on the different types of cancer.

Different Types Of Cancer

Most Common Cancers

Lung Cancer

It is the most common type of cancer and is caused by an uncontrolled cell growth in lung tissues. The growth, though it occurs in the lungs, leads to metastasis, which causes penetration beyond the lungs. Lung cancer is the leading cause in men, and second most common cause in women, for cancer-related death.

Breast Cancer

The second most common type of cancer, breast cancer starts in thecells of the breast of an individual. Though women are generally more prone to this type of cancer, men are no exception. Still, the percentage of men suffering from breast cancer is much less when compared to women.

Prostate Cancer

This type of cancer affects only the males. It develops in the prostrate, a gland in the male reproductive system, and may spread to other parts of the body, especially the bones and lymph nodes. Prostrate cancer causes pain and difficulty in urinating, problems during sexual intercourse and erectile dysfunction.

Bladder Cancer

In this type of cancer, abnormal cells multiply, without control, in the bladder. Several types of growth might occur in the urinary bladder, in bladder cancer. Some of the symptoms of bladder cancer include pain during urination, frequent urination or urge to urinate without any result.

Pancreatic Cancer

A tumor of the pancreas, this cancer causes pain in the upper abdomen, along with loss of appetite, significant weight loss and painless jaundice. Almost 95 percent of pancreatic tumors are adenocarcinomas, while the rest 5 percent include other tumors of the exocrine pancreas, acinar cell cancers and pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors.


Leukemiais a type of cancer that affects the blood or bone marrow of a person. In leukemia, there is a multiplication of white blood cells. It falls under a broader group of diseases called hematological neoplasms. Leukemia also includes a wide range of diseases under it.

Ovarian Cancer

Exclusively found in women, ovarian cancer is the fifth leading cause of cancer-related deaths in women. In this type of cancer, a growth forms in the lining of the ovary or in the egg cells. Abdominal pain or discomfort, abdominal mass, bloating, back pain, urinary urgency, constipation and tiredness are some of the symptoms of ovarian cancer.

Other Types of Cancer
  • Colon Cancer
  • Hodgkin's Disease
  • Multiple Myeloma
  • Skin Cancer
  • Head and Neck Cancers
  • Esophageal Cancer
  • Stomach Cancer
  • Liver Cancer
  • Anal Cancer
  • Kidney Cancer
  • Testis Cancer
  • Gynecological Cancers
  • Choriocarcinoma
  • Brain Tumors
  • Bone Tumors
  • Carcinoid Tumor
  • Nasopharyngeal Cancer
  • Retroperitoneal Sarcomas
  • Soft Tissue Tumors