Tsismiss: Latest gossip from the Pinoy World

Lily

B.R
Staff member
2197433684.jpg
Undoubtedly, Eugene Domingo is one of the best comedians in the Philippines. She's been on a roll lately — scoring monster hits with Kimmy Dora and Mamarazzi and appearing in blockbuster Tanging Ina Mo (Your Only Mother) where she plays a support role to the original comic queen, Ai Ai de las Alas.

Anticipating she was going to be asked about it, Domingo quickly pointed out there wasn't any competition between her and de las Alas. "We happen to be very good friends, and she has been a generous mentor to me. Definitely no competition, just deadly, scheming behind-your-back warfare," she says.

In her latest film, Babae sa Septic Tank (Girl in the Septic Tank), Domingo shows again why she is currently the best in her field. In the scene where she demonstrates the three types of acting, she brings the house down with a humorous parody of herself. "It's better to make fun of yourself than to do it with others. One never gets into trouble this way," she says.

A true thespian, Domingo studied theatre arts in the University of the Philippines, before being cast in 1992 in Valiente, an afternoon drama series on GMA 7. Since then, she has appeared in countless TV anthologies and movies, scoring a number of milestones in the process — she holds the record for being the first lead actress in Philippine cinema to star in the most number of films (seven) in a year.

"The business has been very good to me, and that is why I love my work. I put a lot of effort into it. A lot of people don't realise how hard it is to make people laugh; even harder, I believe, than making people cry," she explains.

And with so many newbies coming up, Domingo knows she will be only as good as her last performance. "There are so many new comics getting noticed, which is a good thing because it means our craft is being appreciated more and more, but it is also a challenge because you have to offer something new all the time, otherwise it's not going to be funny," she explains.

For her next project, Domingo is co-starring in a romantic-comedy movie with Toni Gonzaga, who is also considered one of the more established artists in this genre. "Again no competition and no comparison. I am prettier. She has her own style, and I have my own and we blend well together. Timing is just perfect," she says.

Domingo believes there is always something to be learned from other comics, so she takes the time to watch their work. "I like having fun too, and what better way to do it than by watching something that is funny — that's funny. It isn't, is it?"

Happy bianca

Beauty queen-turned-actress Bianca Manalo admitted she and John Prats are happy together — enjoying each other's company, but only as friends. Manalo was rumoured to be the reason for the break-up of Prats and singer Rachelle Ann Go, but the statuesque beauty has firmly denied any involvement. Besides her noontime show, Happy Yipee Yehey, Manalo is busy modelling and preparing to host a new lifestyle programme.

Storm ahead

Last week, Ruffa Gutierrez tweeted she is about to face the worst storm in her life, but didn't give any details. People close to the actress say her ex-husband is now claiming custody of their two daughters — Lorin and Venice. In Gutierrez's tweet, she said she received a phone call and that she needed prayers to "fight the biggest battle of my life." Her ex-husband Ylmaz Bektas, a Turkish business tycoon, allegedly offered to give Gutierrez $2 million (Dh7.34 million) in exchange for custody of their children. Gutierrez, who has been taking care of her children since 2007, refused to accept the money offered.

Celebrity items go under hammer

Popular singer and composer Ogie Alcasid and his equally famous singer-actress wife Regine Velasquez hosted another celebrity rummage sale this month. Their first rummage sale was a big success, but this time the project was an online auction attracting Filipinos from all over the world in the bidding. Some of the items that picked up handsome price tags were the autographed jersey of popular basketball player and TV host Christ Tiu, a limited edition Andy Warhol designed watch from TV host and actor John Lapus and Dingdong Dantes's personalised jacket from Party Pilipinas. The auction is still ongoing, check out the items at ebay.ph/ukayukay.

Dad for the fifth time

TV host and actor John Estrada announced last week that his wife, Brazilian model Priscilla Meirelles, is pregnant. The two married last March in a romantic beach wedding held in La Union, a province north of Manila. This will be their first baby, although Estrada has four other children by actress Janice de Belen.

Playlist: Marvin Agustin, Actor-Entrepreneur

Song on repeat mode: Be My Lady by Martin Nievera. "Very beautiful love song. First time I heard this classic love song, I fell for it."

One to make me cry: "Not sure. Maybe nothing has been written yet that will make me cry."

This one makes me move: Better Together by Jack Johnson. "This one has got a nice country rhythm to it."

At karaoke I would sing: Way Back into Love by Hugh Grant and Haley Bennett. "Easy one to sing, so won't embarrass myself with this one."

Track I'd skip right now: "Nothing in particular."
[/img][/COLOR]